Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: OT- Small LCD TV's....what is the smallest and cheapest ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Beaufort, SC
    Posts
    1,295

    Default OT- Small LCD TV's....what is the smallest and cheapest ?

    I suspect the answer is those tiny portable DVD players that have a small screen built in, but what I mean is the LCD TV's that are often a combination TV and computer monitor.

    What I want one for is to set up as a dedicated monitor sitting on top of a cheap ($100) DVD player/burner for the sole purpose of attaching a camcorder and burning DVD's directly without editing (or only 'crude' editing...like rewinding the camcorder to a certain scene !)

    Just wandering around a Circuit City or Best Buy I get the impression that the cheapest of this ilk is 15 inches and around $400....but seems like something around 13 inches and $200 ought to exist somewhere. Don't even need the "TV" aspect but need an LCD monitor that will accept the standard video inputs of a camcorder...which a LCD computer monitor will not do.

    Ideas ?

  2. #2
    Millman Guest

    Wink Size does matter?

    Well, Dave, just take a BFH to it and it will be smaller.

  3. #3

    Default

    Oops. Disregard that.
    Last edited by winchman; 07-14-2006 at 05:26 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SE, Michigan
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    If you aren't in a hurry, subscribe to PC Mall sales. They were just selling 17" LCD monitors for 99 each.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Beaufort, SC
    Posts
    1,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowman
    If you aren't in a hurry, subscribe to PC Mall sales. They were just selling 17" LCD monitors for 99 each.
    If you mean standard computer type LCD monitors with DB9 connector, they won't do what I want to do.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    783

    Default

    A lot of drivers in Los Angeles are watching TV in their cars now while they talk on their phone...are the 7" vehicle systems too small for what you want to do? I seem to remember Sam's club had some integrated 7" LCD/TV tuner/DVD systems on sale in the $200 range.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Beaufort, SC
    Posts
    1,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by abn
    A lot of drivers in Los Angeles are watching TV in their cars now while they talk on their phone...are the 7" vehicle systems too small for what you want to do? I seem to remember Sam's club had some integrated 7" LCD/TV tuner/DVD systems on sale in the $200 range.
    That wouldn't work either since if the DVD is already in there, they typically don't bother having any inputs for external devices.

    As of last night, I found some 12 inch LCD TV's on eBay that have all the right inputs. New in the $200 range, but have to come direct from Hong Kong. A few 12 inch "returns" in GA for $150 or so that will work...guess I'll bid on one of those, and hope something glows on the screen when I plug it in !

  8. #8
    Too_Many_Tools Guest

    Default

    Don, how did this turn out for you...what did you eventually end up using?

    TMT

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Beaufort, SC
    Posts
    1,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Too_Many_Tools
    Don, how did this turn out for you...what did you eventually end up using?

    TMT
    Not bought anything yet as it occured to me perhaps I should buy a Mac Mini to replace my current shop computer and just use the LCD monitor on that. But then to have DVD burn capability I would need the $800 Mac Mini.. so I just keep putting off letting that much money go..since I don't really need a new computer except for that possible reason.

    Never used a Mac but I fantasize that the Mac would make video editing so easy that perhaps I wouldn't mind editing the videos...if I knew absolutely that to be the case I'd order one in a heartbeat.

  10. #10
    Too_Many_Tools Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D. Thomas
    Not bought anything yet as it occured to me perhaps I should buy a Mac Mini to replace my current shop computer and just use the LCD monitor on that. But then to have DVD burn capability I would need the $800 Mac Mini.. so I just keep putting off letting that much money go..since I don't really need a new computer except for that possible reason.

    Never used a Mac but I fantasize that the Mac would make video editing so easy that perhaps I wouldn't mind editing the videos...if I knew absolutely that to be the case I'd order one in a heartbeat.
    Don,

    Magnavox makes a 15" LCD television that supports composite video, S-video and VGA inputs (model 15NF400T/37) that was available around Christmas for about $150. My relatives bought one at a Target store.

    Target has since replaced that model with one that supports digital television which means it DOES NOT have a composite input...so you would want the older model...not the current model.

    I would suggest looking surplus/used for this monitor.

    I do not think you will find a smaller screen with the inputs you want unless you go with one of the mobile screens you see advertised for vehicles. Those smaller units are showing up surplus and also in junkyards as vehicles are retired due to accidents.

    Good luck with the hunt...if I see another one I will let you know.

    TMT

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •