Thread: CNC Milling

Default CNC Milling

With all the talk about building a CNC machine, is anyone interested in the one I have here > http://www.cnczone.com/classifieds/s...ate/1096658554

I built it up as a project and it needs a new home. BG in Iowa

Question CNC Milling

This machine is SOLD. It came with lots of tooling and work holding vises and such. I'm just wondering why people would spend far more (twice) than the price this machine sold for, to build up one of their own?
    The same for surface grinders, you can buy them used for less than $500 if you look around, (I sold a nice one for 250 but no one here was interested?) and yet build them from a magazine article... bit by bit? I know its more fun to build... BG

The same for surface grinders, you can buy them used for less than $500 if you look around, (I sold a nice one for 250 but no one here was interested?) and yet build them from a magazine article... bit by bit? I know its more fun to build... BG
    There isn't a cheap surface grinder for sale within a 1000 miles of me, at least not on this side of the border. I have never seen one for sale either.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

I'm just wondering why people would spend far more (twice) than the price this machine sold for, to build up one of their own?

The money spent building it is the cost of the education you get.

Wink Building YOur Own...

Quote Originally Posted by Rustybolt
    I'm just wondering why people would spend far more (twice) than the price this machine sold for, to build up one of their own?

The money spent building it is the cost of the education you get.
    Your right Rusty, it was alot of fun. I think my next project will be a car... an electric car that is with the price of gas at over $3 gal, and we will see $4 before long. In fact I'm looking for a DC motor or motors right now. Im wondering why it can't be a AC motor with a VFD with DC-AC invertors so cheap now.

My understanding is inverters eat power, any time you change electricity from one form to another there is a price to pay, since electric cars are already trying to get the most out of every watt it makes sense to stick to a high efficiancy pemanent magnet DC?
    Maybe superconductivity will play a role in motors too because of this...

Default building your own...

I'm in process on a EV conversion - doing it the standard way with lead batteries and DC motor. (see kta-ev.com) There is an off the shelf Siemens AC motor/inverter set available (metricmind.com) that is more efficient and can be used on automatics 'cause you don't need a tranny, but costs twice as much. I'm hoping that the lead-foam batteries being developed by the CAT spinoff fireflyenergy.com will be available by the time the deep-cycles are dead. The guy (acpropulsion.com) that developed GM's EV1 drive train left that stupid company and has the best system in the world, but it currently costs $25K cause no manufacturers have the foresight to put it into mass production. yet. Still waiting for better batteries.

Greg

Wink Electric Car

Quote Originally Posted by AZSORT
    I'm in process on a EV conversion - doing it the standard way with lead batteries and DC motor. (see kta-ev.com) There is an off the shelf Siemens AC motor/inverter set available (metricmind.com) that is more efficient and can be used on automatics 'cause you don't need a tranny, but costs twice as much. I'm hoping that the lead-foam batteries being developed by the CAT spinoff fireflyenergy.com will be available by the time the deep-cycles are dead. The guy (acpropulsion.com) that developed GM's EV1 drive train left that stupid company and has the best system in the world, but it currently costs $25K cause no manufacturers have the foresight to put it into mass production. yet. Still waiting for better batteries.

Greg
    I'd like to change this to a new subject line, but not sure how. Anyway this may be something to think about >> Link to Testa Motors http://www.teslamotors.com/index.php?js_enabled=1

Build it yourself, a AC three phase motor driven by a VFD would do away with DC altogether, except of course for the batterys and charger. Most VFD's can take single phase AC (inverter power stepped up to 460 Volts) and change to 3 phase and the higher voltage would make for smaller wires. Most of this stuff is off the shelf. Just thinking...

BillH Guest

Look at what the Model airplane guys are doing with Electric airplanes, the brushless DC motors and Lithium Ion batteries rule the market.