Thread: Versatapper?

Default Versatapper?

Hello,

I am looking at a Rigid Supreme Versatapper, Model #6420. Does anyone know if parts are still available, including the collets? Would this tapping head work in the same fashion as a Procunier 2-E? Is this a good tapping head to buy, or should I wait for the right Procunier to come along?

Thanks for your help
    Tom

The Rigid Versa Tappers are equivalent to Procunier, Ettco and similar heads in operation and capacity. They are good tapping heads.

I don't recall which collet system they use, but many heads use Jacobs Rubberflex collets, which are available, but not cheap. Another style uses sleeves which are bored to size.

With most tapping heads, the collets or sleeves main purpose is to center the tap, not drive it. Most use a square nut affair to hold the flats of the tap to drive it.
    Jim H.

Versatappers use Jacobs Rubberflex style collets, but probably Supreme's version of same. Supreme and Jacobs were competitors so they must have each made their own collets. As Jim said, the collet only serves to align the tap, it's driven off the flats on the end.

I've had my Supreme Versatapper for 25+ years. Heavy useage sometimes, so far never needed any repairs or parts. For most jobs I prefer it over my Tapmatics, which are far as durability don't compare to the Versatapper.

The torque bar on the Versatapper is unique in that it has a fork arrangement on the end which slips around the column of your drill press. Hate those Tapmatic style torque bar banging around freely.

Mine has a 1/2" straight shank for mounting in drill press chuck.

No idea about parts availability. Seems like I saw a fairly recent ad for Versatapper that was made by other than Rigid Supreme.

BTW, whatever happened to Supreme? They used to be right up there with Jacobs in the drill chuck business, not sure if they're still even in business.

It is official, I bought a Rigid Supreme Versatapper!!! $70 on eBay.

http://users.techline.com/tomn/versatapper.jpg

It looked good, from the little photo! I'm sure that I will have more questions after it arrives. I'm hunting down a #6 Jacobs collet for it now.

Thanks,
    Tom