Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Volstro rotary milling head

Question Volstro rotary milling head

I hope you fellows and ladies won't think I'm not very smart, I've been snopping around this site for quite awhile, picking all the nice tidbits up about metal working, and I really have the bug. Thanks for all the ideas you all but out. I have a volstro milling head that I used the other day, but can"t figure out what the two notched pulleys and belt power up, any one know?.
    Also if anyone has a book on it would you copy and sell it to me? Thanks again
    Don

you can always send the volstro to me, I will figure it out for you!!!

Thumbs up pulleys

The larger alum. pulley slides on the Quill feed push,pull pin shaft on the mill When the quill feed is engaged that shaft turns the smaller pulley has a cross pin thru it that fits on and engages on the shaft that rotates the V head The belt connect the two . So when the Quill feed knod is engaged the belt drives the v. head ond it rotates under power at different feed rates depending on what feed rate you have engaged on the quill feed 1 1/2 3, 6,
    Under stand now. O buy the way to tighten the belt un lock the Quill lock and move the quill down some to tighten the belt. OVER AND OUT

Default volstro

but what do I do until you figure it out?

Default pulley

Thanks Lane I need all the help I can get

Lucky bugger! Few here wouldn't want one of those. Long ago, before the time of CNC, I used one to make rectangular O-ring grooves with radiussed corners. Someone here will have a book.

Joe
    "I am not academically qualified. I am what I call QBE - thatís my degree - Qualified By Experience."

Rupert Neve, Audio Technology Magazine Issue 1, March 1998

I have the manual for a Volstro Rotary cross slide milling head if you would like it. It is only 109 kB, I can e-mail it to anybody who wants it. It is 11 pages, and has been OCR to keep the file small and the text clean. I have not yet corrected some of the OCR mistakes, but they do not really detract from the usability of the manual. Anybody who is interested, just drop me an e-mail and I will get a copy right out to you. My e-mail address is eds_equipment@comcast.net . BTW, I only have this manual because somebody was kind enough to scan at high resolution and e-mail me a copy, which is what I converted the PDF from. I don't remember for sure, but I think it was somebody who was selling a head with manual on eBay who I contacted, who was kind enough to do this for me at no monetary gain.
    The manual is extremely sparse on instructions, covers only a bit of its setup and use, and has absolutely nothing about lubrication. It does, however, have a very nice parts breakdown so you can see how everything goes together, and you can get all the part numbers for those parts that are no longer available.
    The manual I have appears to have come from the version 3, which I don't believe to be much different than any other one except for a few minor features. If any of you have a different manual, or a more extensive user's manual for this head, I would actually be interested in getting a copy. For firmly as some high-resolution scans which I can convert into decent PDF's four other people which need the same information.
    Ed

I also purchased a Volstro Rotary Head recently, and got no manual with it. Thanks for the offer Doc, I just sent you an email about that PDF.

And, like the Doc, I would love to get any and all information possible covering the use and maintenance of this thing.

Strange, seems like a lot of these hitting the market lately...

Post Strange, seems like a lot of these hitting the market lately...

I think it has to do with CNC coupled with the "retirements" of older machinist that grew-up in the pre-cnc world. Better to sell them to the home shop type guy, anyway. I will not get into the "we no longer make that here" type thread, being Labor Day weekend in the States.
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

I e-mailed a copy of the manual to everyone who requested it.

The manual and a brochure for the head are on my website at:
    http://home.comcast.net/~marconi30 I suggest you download both.

A little info about Trav-A-Dial repair is there too.

I would like to find more info on Volstro products, Quillmasters, Bridgeport cherrying & Shaping heads, etc. If you have anything, please let me know. It will all be shared freely, of course.

Ed