Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fabrication of Collet Drawbar

Default Fabrication of Collet Drawbar

My South Bend Lathe did not have a collet draw bar. I have obtained a set of collets and would like to know how easy/hard it would be to make a drawbar so that the collets can be used. Can a new purchase drawbar be more easily modified than starting from scratch? (I doubt if an original South Bend Drawbar can be obtained.) Appreciate any wisdom on the project. Thanks.

Bil

A drawbar should be the easiest accessory you could make. The one that came with my SB9 was not an original SB but was made with a simple tube and a handwheel. The inside of the tube was threaded to fit the collets and a handwheel was bored out to fit the OD and held in place with a set screw. I don't have the dimensions here at home but will post them later if your lathe is also a 9". If you have another size lathe and a standare tube will not work, a nose piece could be machined from solid bar to fit a slightly smaller tube on one end and the collets on the other.

I added a thrust style ball bearing for easier operation. I highly recomend this feature but a couple of greased washers will also work.

As for obtaining an original SB, just set up a search on E-bay and sit back. It will show up sooner or later.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

I checked the size of my drawbar. It is made from a 13.25" length of tubing with a 3.4" OD and a 1/2" ID. The collet end was bored out to a depth of about 1 1/16" before threading. That depth seems like a lot of overkill to me, I think 3/4" would take care of it for the 3SB collets. Also, it could be an inch or so shorter as it sticks through the handwheel. A 12" length would have worked just fine.

The handwheel is a plain wheel of 3 1/4" diameter. I would recommend either a larger wheel or one with a knurled or rubber grip surface.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Default Appreciation of Idea

Thanks for the idea. I'll go and do some measuring to to see what I need and what will work. Bill

I would go with the system Paul mentioned.

These are the drawings for the more complicated lever actuated version posted by jim rozen over on the metalworking drop box.
    SB lever closer 1
    SB lever closer 2
    Last edited by JPR; 09-18-2006 at 01:18 AM.
    John

This is STILL on my "rountuit" list. I have a 5-C handwheel style drawtube from a 14"/16" South Bend that fits (diameter OK, length, too long) into my 9 1/2" South Bend. I am not going to cut the tube I have. I will measure and duplicate as necessary. Do you have the spindle taper/?? collet adapter. (You did'nt specify which collet system.) Depending upon the model of your lathe, the spindle taper is propriatary. This may be the most difficult part to actually make. They can be purchased IMO, for a lot less grief. As P.A. mentioned, do not omit the thrust bearing.
    Paying Attention Is Not That Expensive.

I sent a pm Bigboy1!!

Quote Originally Posted by JPR
    I would go with the system Paul mentioned.

These are the drawings for the more complicated lever actuated version posted by jim rozen over on the metalworking drop box.
    SB lever closer 1
    SB lever closer 2
    .................................................. .................................................. ....
    why is it that when i clicked on either SB lever closer 1 or 2 that a clear screen picture of words or drawings would apear for 1 or 2 seconds to then disapear and be followed by something reduced in size and looking not clear like a bad photostat?
    dennis mac - a1g2r3i@yahoo.ca

Dennis, Internet Explorer is resizing the picture to fit your screen.

Move you mouse slowly over the right corner of the picture and an icon will show up, click on the icon and the picture will return to full size.
    Last edited by JPR; 09-21-2006 at 04:55 PM.
    John

Default Dimensions

My SB is a 10" and I have a set of 5C collets made by Hardinge. The distance between the spindle face and gear cover plate is about 14". I have a threaded spindle (2 1/4" x 8) and I would need to get the knockoff nut and the collet taper for that spindle. Any ideas where those could be found? I just missed a drawbar set on eBay that went for $315. Is that a good or going price as I'm new to this field.

Bill