Thread: Mig Welding

Default Mig Welding

What type of air filtration system do you use while mig welding in a closed garage shop?? It gets mighty smoky in there and the black flem cant be good for you. Any ideas for masks or filter systems. I cant open the door cause it gets too cols. ??Mike

Get a squirrel cage blower and some flex ducting and vent it out side. Place a damper on is so you can close it when not in use. It will still suck out heat but not as bad as an open door. Pick up a small vent duct and fix a piece a screen to it keep any hot snot out... for the in take. Place on table or suspend above work. This it based on the system used at the local welding supply in the demo area. Theirs is a commercial system that cost an arm and a leg. I did not want to spend that much and looked into a work about.
    Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Mike get yourself a North respirator with the proper cannisters for welding fumes (part #7583P100).
    These have the two hoses that hang over your back to keep the filters out of the grunge.
    I usually hack the toe ends off an old pair of wool socks and tape that over the filters then they last three times longer.
    Russ
    Last edited by torker; 10-13-2006 at 08:40 PM.

If you get an air blower or suction device, don't get the air flow to close to the weld area or you will ruin the gas coverage and there will be a lot of swiss cheese weld.

I took an old stove exhaust hood and attached it above my work bench that subs as my welding bench when I am welding. Cut an exhaust hole in the wall.

The height of the hood pulls the fumes up and out of my breathing zone and does not effect the inert gas (argon) blanket from my rig.

Not only does it work but it looks pretty good too.

Just a suggestion.... hope it helps

I once had a co-worker that welded in his basement. To vent the fumes, opened the door to the dryer, and placed fan in the opening

I don't really recommend this, but your SWMBO be more tolerant than mine.
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

the masks with powered filter systems are good, but the really good ones are expensive (eg Speedglas). You really need to clear the worst of the fumes in the shop as a whole, though.

Tim