Thread: Grizzly mill G0463 story and a spindle tach request

Default Grizzly mill G0463 story and a spindle tach request

First, if anyone has a thought on a spindle tach for a Griz G0463 let me know.

I bought a mill for dad a bit back and finally got everything worked out.
    To start, here is the critter.

I emailed the Griz help department before the purchase to ask about inventory and the ability for me to pick up the machine at my local shipping hub. They told me it would be no problem and people do it all the time.

I placed the order on the Griz website. Very easy as you might immagine. And I added the bit about the local pickup in the notes. I then followed the Griz directions on sending an email noting that I would not like to be added to all of the extra email lists they have to send me junk mail.

So the next day I got an email noting my order was received and that I would not get any junk emails. They also noted that they placed my order on hold because that could offer me a lift gate at delivery for an extra $30.

I sent back an email letting them know they need to read the instructions in my order. I also noted that Griz had already told me that a local pickup was no big deal.

I got an email back about 2 min later (supprise) telling me that my order was shipped and they were sorry for the delay.

I then got a message from the delivery agency telling me that they were going to deliver the mill to my house on monday between 1 and 3. I called back, only getting a voicemail, and left a message telling them to read the shipping instructions. Please dont deliver I asked, I will pickup. No return call.

Monday, I got a call from a truckdriver asking for directions to my house. I explaned to him my shipping request. He said no problem. I could pick up the shipment anytime between 9:00 am Monday till 12:00 noon Saturday. Cool, this might work out.

I got the machine, gave it to dad and then moved it into his basement wth the brother-in-law.

Now the fun starts. 2 weeks later I get a letter form the shipper caliming that I owe them an extra $XX because I refused the shipment. And it was not a cheap bill.

I didnt bother calling the shipper but I did email Griz. In 3 days they took care of everything with the shipper and called me back letting me know the issue was resolved.

Now, Griz could have told me it was my issue. But they didnt. They went through a bit of trouble getting it workd out for me. And even thougth I had to remind them of the instructions, they were quick to fix things and make me happy.

So, I am one happy customer. Use info as needed, just a happy customer, no affiliation, bla bla bla.

And, as soon as we (dad and I) get it up and moving, I will drag a dial indicator around on it and let you all know how it measures up.

Cheers!
    rock-
    Last edited by rockrat; 10-17-2006 at 08:58 PM.
    Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Most of what you need for a spindle tach is here:

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...Product+Search

I'm building one from scratch (well, a 4-digit freq counter and an inductive pickup). Will report on how it goes.

A few weeks ago I bought one of these as well. It's the first mill I've used in a very long time, so I've been climing the uphill side of the learning curve. I've been happy with it so far. I'm thinking a power feed for the table and good used DRO are in my future. Something more elegant than the cheaper DRO's using cheap digital caliper scales.

There are some very clean looking CNC kits coming on the market for this machine.

Also, I've found Grizzly to have an above average customer service and sale department. I once had a girl on the phone for 40 minutes looking up parts for a worn out Grizzly table saw I was rebuilding. The total bill came out to $15 or so.
    Last edited by brettjones; 10-18-2006 at 12:54 AM.

Default Phototach

I use a phototach on my equipment. I keep a small strip of reflective tape available from the phototach folks attached to chucks, etc, and then just use the handheld device to check RPM when I am in doubt.

Wink Mechanical Smiths Tach

I injun trades my old model airplane tachometer for a mechanical smiths in a nice fitted box, I have used it on some radial arm drills where i used to work and was always surprised at how far out the spindle speeds were in relation to the actual machine charts..

Sir Rock,
    That's nearly the same model that I have done a CNC conversion kit for in the UK.

The one our importer carries has been spec'ed with a longer bed and taller column.

Been at the Midlands show for the last 4 days and it's attracting a lot of interest with 5 firm orders. Had 15 ballscrews delivered on Monday but seems like I have to order more.

Although this has been aimed at the home shop guy three orders are going into industry for making small parts.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Millman Guest

[[Had 15 ballscrews delivered on Monday but seems like I have to order more.]] John, you've had a good week.

Quote Originally Posted by Millman
    [[Had 15 ballscrews delivered on Monday but seems like I have to order more.]] John, you've had a good week.
    Not yet, they are still on the floor where they were delivered.

[Edit]
    I'll get a picture later, you won't believe how they send these 12mm screws out
    Last edited by John Stevenson; 10-18-2006 at 11:06 AM.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Independent principality of Sinquefieldia (formerly Missouri)

Whatever the quality, or lack of it, of Grizzly products....... they take care of customers.

I bought items of similar price from Enco and Griz. Level from Griz, height gage from Enco.

Both were bogus.... the level had a base like a banana, the height gage had a column problem. I had to send them back. In neither case did I particularly want a replacement, not trusting that I would get a much better one next time.

Enco made me pay the shipping both ways, even though it was their problem. So I was out of pocket around $20 or $25. (they didn't go to any trouble to ship cheap). I probably would have had to pay the shipping on a replacement too.

Grizzly refunded the shipping, and sent a call tag. NO out-of-pocket shipping, in fact they paid everything and refunded, so I paid NOTHING for the bad level.

So.... Enco charged me for their bad QC.

Grizzly owned up and took care of theirs.

Any questions?

Quote Originally Posted by John Stevenson
    Sir Rock,
    Been at the Midlands show for the last 4 days and it's attracting a lot of interest with 5 firm orders. Had 15 ballscrews delivered on Monday but seems like I have to order more.
    Good job buddy. I hope that they all go smooth.

As for the rest of ya's, thanks for the ideas. Will have to come up with something. I just cant wait for him to make something that he never thought that he would be able to. Thats where the joy comes from.

rock-
    Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.