Thread: Gear shaping update...production rate improved

Post Gear shaping update...production rate improved

Well, I was ignoring the obvious, which was you can feed the heck out of it while the cut is shallow. So I found that I can feed 3 to 10 thous at the start, and taper off, with the last 30 thous or so down at 1 thous and below for feed.

That should have been pretty obvious, eh?

Anyhow, I am up to about 1 toothspace every 10 or 12 minutes, with a little less audible strain on the machine than before.

Smile

Hope you're not working on Flat-Rate.

Has anyone seen this little gear hobber machine on ebay looks nice or is it just a toy Alistair
    3314575701 WAHLI-90 GEAR HOBBING MACHINE( SWISS)
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

It's not a toy Alistair. These are very, very expensive machines around 30K new but they are for instrument and watch gears.
    All samll work.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Good show, Oso! I knew that you would figure out the right way if anybody could. I've got to put this bit of information in my shop norebook for future reference!! Thanks for passing it along.

Wink

Ken....There is nobody on earth who would pay me for machine work, if they had any sense.

This is for me. If I did it at work, it would be checkbook machining, cuz it "flat" ain't worth it to cobble up to do gears. Them as does it to sell gears does it faster and better.

Check the top of the board, the part where it says "Home Shop", don't bother reading that line any farther

Now have gear finished. rate dropped to 5 min per space, and the thing is done. Swung it to trim out the rear of the teeth, per Colvin and Stanley.
    While it isn't a correct shape, quite, it mates with the other gear, and will work fine. It is for a hand adjustment shaft, no high speed.

Wouldn't want to do it a lot, but if I need more change gears, sorry Mr Logan, this customer took it in-house.

[This message has been edited by Oso (edited 03-10-2003).]