Thread: The Art of Lathe Tool Grinding ...

Default The Art of Lathe Tool Grinding ...

Twenty years ago, not long after I had bought my 10" Sheldon lathe, a friend of mine told me about a widow he knew who's late husband was a machinest.
    He said that she had some of his things that she wanted to get rid of.

He carried me over to meet her. Her husband had died a year after they had retired to my area. He had worked in the aircraft industry.
    I bought an old flat top Kennedy chest she had, an Interapid 310 indicator, and a 2" mic. As I was leaving she said "oh yeah, you can have this stuff too". She handed me 3 cigar boxes and another bigger box of tool bits that he had ground. I still get them out and look at them from time to time and am amazed at the work that went into crafting these. As the title of this says, I do consider it an Art.

These are ground from drill rod ...

These are ground from 3/8 HSS

3/8 brazed carbide

HSS and carbide boring bars

...and THAT is why one ought to learn to grind one's own toolbits, instead of relying on carbide inserts. Presumably, each one of those was ground for a very specific job.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

I scored some similar tools, in this case the guy's dad had passed away a few years back- they were cleaning the place out to sell. His dad had literally dug himself a little shop about 6' on a side out of the dirt in the basement- plus a trench you could walk through if you bent over, snaking around the rest of the basement, all kinds of stuff packed up on the dirt alongside. He had a complete 9" SB and Atlas horizontal mill down there (son is not selling those at present...) and a bench loaded with stuff. He could have worked his entire shop without moving more than 3 steps in any direction. Anyhow I bought up all his old HSS bits, many looking very like the pics above.

I use them as grinding reference only- except for two internal threading tools which I use because they are so nice and I can't even approximate them yet... Any chance at all of getting stuff like this shouldn't be passed up- even if you have to pay some money.

Regards,

Greg

Bill:
    Yes lots of skill involved in that . I came across a similar find a couple years ago at the flea market. A box with a nice handfull of tool bit for a few bucks.

The boring bar ground from the square blank is one of the lot. The one made from drill rod is my own creation
    Tin
    Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Menke
    I scored some similar tools, in this case the guy's dad had passed away a few years back- they were cleaning the place out to sell. His dad had literally dug himself a little shop about 6' on a side out of the dirt in the basement- plus a trench you could walk through if you bent over, snaking around the rest of the basement, all kinds of stuff packed up on the dirt alongside. He had a complete 9" SB and Atlas horizontal mill down there (son is not selling those at present...) and a bench loaded with stuff. He could have worked his entire shop without moving more than 3 steps in any direction. Anyhow I bought up all his old HSS bits, many looking very like the pics above.

I use them as grinding reference only- except for two internal threading tools which I use because they are so nice and I can't even approximate them yet... Any chance at all of getting stuff like this shouldn't be passed up- even if you have to pay some money.

Regards,

Greg
    Say Greg, Was that house located in Carney near Harford Rd? I once knew a machinest/ gunsmith in that area that had a set up very similliar to that. His boy was also a machinest so it probably wasn't the same man. John