Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 12" atlas Lathe

Thanks RV. I don't have the measurements handy at the moment but here's a picture of the original. IIRC, it was about 4" wide. If I had a good B&W line-art or photo, I could resize and color. I tried some photo manipulation but couldn't quite get it clear enough to print and look good.

Here's where the decal went on the lathe. (Before restoration)

Last edited by CCWKen; 01-14-2007 at 12:38 AM.

Ken,
    I will look around and see If I have any that size. I think I have some smaller for sure.
    Bill

Doe anyone have a source for replacement parts. I should get my lathe on Monday or Tuesday next week and it need the pulley cover and the gear covers. I have looked on ebay but no luck with the covers (guards).

It's my understanding that none of the castings are available through Clausing. Ebay is hit and miss, but these parts are listed there with some regularity. Expect to pay a premium. Local classifieds are something to keep your eye on. You could try the yahoo atlas/craftsman group. Someone there may have parts.

I have a change gear cover that I believe is for a 50's vintage 12" craftsman. It came with a QCGB lathe I picked up last summer.

What vintage is your lathe?

Quote Originally Posted by gearhead
    Doe anyone have a source for replacement parts. I should get my lathe on Monday or Tuesday next week and it need the pulley cover and the gear covers. I have looked on ebay but no luck with the covers (guards).
    Brett Jones...

I sent some pictures off to member (JCHannum) and he took the time to give me some very good information on my new machine. He mentioned it was of the 1960 vintage (gold in color).

I am not good enough with computers to show the photos, but Steve's lathe appears to be that funky hammertone gold that Sears used in the 50's & 60's. It is a change gear machine with Timken bearings and a long bed. It looks to be in good shape, but is missing the original pulley and change gear guards.

The cover bhjones has will probably fit. The covers differ between change gear and QC too, I didn't mention that to Steve.
    Jim H.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o.../newlathe5.jpg
    http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o.../newlathe4.jpg
    http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o.../newlathe3.jpg
    http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o.../newlathe2.jpg
    http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...7/newlathe.jpg

My 17 years old had to put the pictures in for me, but here is the new lathe. I have not received it yet, but I will go and get it Monday or so. As you can see the covers are missing. I will be receiving three boxes of tooling that includes several chucks. The present owner has the manual so I can get the right model when I start to look for the covers. Did this vintage of a machine come in any other color than sick gold. Really like the color of the Blue machine posted. I'm still surfing for parts (covers). Thanks to all who have posted and sent me advice. I will keep you posted on the progress of the Craftsman project. Gear.

That's a 50's vintage lathe. In '59 or '60 there was a major redesign. I have a mid 50's 12x24 QCGB Craftsman, it's a dark grey color and it seems to be the original paint. The cover I have should fit this machine (it's dark grey FYI). It's missing the hinge, but I see your hinge is still there.

The covers for these machines are different from the 10" Atlas, so do not buy covers for that make/model as they don't fit. As I said before, these part do pop up on ebay with some regularity, so stay vigilant and you'll find them there.

Did your machine come with a full set of change gears? The 54" bed is really nice. Both of my machines are 42" beds, and even though that's not been a problem I'd like to find a 54" bed and screw for my 12" some day.

Your lathe looks to be in good shape. Once you get it cleaned up you can align the headstock and tailstock and check the bed for wear. With any luck it'll be in good shape.

Keep us posted.
    Brett Jones...

The gear guard bracket is there as already said. I can't tell if the motor pulley cover bracket is there. The spindle belt guard (top cover) bracket is there also. I did notice that the inner guard (gear cover latch bracket) is missing though.

Before buying any covers or brackets, wait until you get the parts manual and check the numbers to be sure. You can also go through the box of "tools" you said you were getting with it and see if any parts are in it. The parts show up on Ebay often. Don't get in a hurry to buy parts until you see what you need.

I'd agree with BH. I think you'll need to look for 12" covers but I can say that they are the same as my lathe. Mine is a late 1939 to early 1941 Deluxe model 12". Sears still had the parts manual online for my model 101-07403. (Although it's near unreadable)

These are numbers for my lathe:
    Spindle belt guard - #L6-724
    Motor belt guard - #L6-722
    Change gear guard - #L5-28A
    Inner guard - #L5-152

There were two other gear guards that were optional. These cover the two spindle gears under the spindle belt guard (Top cover).

I'm hoping when I pick up the lathe that I will see the guards laying somewhere in the shop. The present owner has pretty much given me a free hand on looking for different parts of the lathe. At first glance I did not see the missing parts but when I get there to pick the machine up I will take my time and look around for the parts.