Thread: New Jibs

Default New Jibs

Here is the what I went thru to make my new jib.

This was the set up that led to the oil bottle.

Set up to cut the screw pockets parallel to the bevels... the jib screws have a flat face.

The old wonky one and the new brass one.
    Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Here's the fit up.

Not a bad fit.. slides nice and smooth.
    Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Neato. I still havent made mine for my Clausing yet, but I think Im going to use a piece of brass. Ive been reluctant to make it because Im not sure how to hold the 7 inch or so piece and machine the 50 degree angle it all at once. Your post is motivating though, nice work and thanks for showig it.

Furnace you should be able to use the same set up as I did. The jib was a bit over 5" long. I use a piece of tool steel as a parallel and to support the overhang. Tilted the head over and used the table to feed the strip into the cutter. If you have a gearhead mill I'd recommend looking at the gearhead mill tips I posted... will save you a mess. For the 7" length you could use two pieces of 7" x 1 1/2" x 3/8" flat bar as jaw extensions.

My gib is one of those weird ones. If you have time search for posts by me and take a look at it. As far as I can measure with my cheap protractor it is a 50 degree angle. Id rather have the kind that you have, seems much easier to make. I took a small piece of brass and machined the 5o degree angle on it and covered it with a blue sharpie. Then rubbed it back and forth against the dovetail on the slide and it rubbed off most of the blue. I know its not the best way to do it but its all I could think of to see if I was close. Sorry for hijacking your thread, wasnt my intention. Thanks for your help.

Don't worry about it. I looked up your post. Have you thought of making a male plug and using lapping compound on that side to work out the stiffness? Just an idea.

No I hadnt. The gib was warped in two ways. I tried straightening it but it cracked where one of the SHCS goes through it. I was going to mill off the little bit that has the setscrews in it and make a gib set up like yours, but Im going to try the original way first. If I fail Ill go the other route.

I guess I missed the part about it being cracked. When I read another poster comment that his was also bowed I got the idea of lapping it. Your current configuration seems like it be a bit testy to work with and give no way to lock up the jib/gib or adjust on the fly. If you wanted the brass/bronze wear strip you might be able to pin a 1/8" or so thick piece to the face with brass rod. That way if and when you need to replace you'd only have to re face it with new piece of brass/bronze instead of remake the whole thing.

If you don't already have one like this... you need to pick up one of these to verify your angle. It's also handy for set ups as well.

You could order one heremcmaster-carr #8517A58. I picked mine up at lowes but seen them at other hardware stores as well sears.

It was only a hunk of metal before you started and if a mistake happens it's still only a hunk of metal. But when you secede it's a part. Least that's how I approach it.

Independent principality of Sinquefieldia (formerly Missouri)

Eh, when I made a new gib for one of the machines, I just filed the angles, and "finessed" the drill spots.

It seems to work just as well as any other one, and better than the original.

Thats the protractor that I have. Just didnt know if theyre are better ones out there. Im gonna give it a whirl tomorrow since I have to work, hopefully it will work out. Ill report back here as soon as I get it done if thats ok. Thanks for your wisdom fellas.