Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK Alexandria Palace ME Show

Default UK Alexandria Palace ME Show

Got back late Sunday night from the Ally Pally show.
    The show ran three days, Fri, Sat and Sunday with setup day on Thursday.
    Usual mix of trade stands and exhibitors but in the UK exhibitors stand on club stands and not on their own.
    I managed to grab a few pictures in a rush late on Sunday about 4:00pm, as it was winding down.
    All taken from the centre of the hall looking both way to give an idea of the hall. It would have been better if I could have got up on the organ balcony to give a better idea of the layout but it was locked.

Not sure on attendances as I couldn't find any one late on Sunday to ask but one guy posting on the UK newsgroup site said he got there at 11:00am on Friday and there was a 800 to 1,000 people queue. I can believe this as we had people 5 deep on our stand all Friday and we worked 9:00 till 5:30 with no breaks at all.

No good trying to get any pictures on Friday or Saturday as it was too crowded.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Thanks for the reminder :- I meant to go but as usual I forgot, must be old age or could not face the 'why do you want to go there you've been before'
    from SHMBO

Peter

Did you see the huge radio control german tank?
    I think it was about four feet long & had propper engine sound etc.

No, didn't see it.
    Problem with working at shows is there is literally no time.
    Friday I got there at 9.00 am and it took 1/2 hour to get the stand up and running, [ we had setup on Thursday ] then a quick fly around to see other traders to get preordered bits, after that I got one quick trip to the bog and that was it al day. Snacks and drinks taken on the move.
    Finished at 5.00, packed up and down the pub, back to the hotel for 11.00pm, back up at 6.00am.

Saturday was the same and Sunday is worse as you finish at 4.30, have to pack all the show displays up, secure machines, go fetch two trucks and have a punch up to see who gets in first to load. 2 to 2-1/2 hours to load, then another punch up to get out.

Rub some muck over the number plates and a quick trip up north because these new trucks have credit cards to fit the tachographs and no one told us and we are still on paper disks.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Tank!

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...r/PICT0234.jpg

Cannot explain how impressive the engine sound was, it even lifted from tickover when the turret was moved!

Quote Originally Posted by Magic9r
    Tank!

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...r/PICT0234.jpg

Cannot explain how impressive the engine sound was, it even lifted from tickover when the turret was moved!

wow the age of the onlookers says a lot ..
    model engineering (sadly) will die when they die me thinks.

all the best.mark

Norman Atkinson Guest

Default UK Ally Pally

Mark,
    I look and am older than any in John's photos.

I gave up at the Midlands 'do', was bleeding internally, dropped a bottle in John's grubby paw- and thought that it may be my last chance to say 'Thanks'

Cheers

Norm

Walking around there's obviously some "new blood" coming in, probably fall into that category myself at 42, there I was thinking I was getting old
    Regards,
    Nick

I forgot ...Stupid me wasnt thinking....some of those guys were young when they first started building those locos ...what you are seeing is,
    The guys (now very much older) that have brought them along to put on display, now that they are finally complete.

All the best.mark

In my subterrainean lair, okay, it's a basement.

Quote Originally Posted by aboard_epsilon
    wow the age of the onlookers says a lot ..
    model engineering (sadly) will die when they die me thinks.

all the best.mark
    Nah, you see people in their 40's and up becauses A) they have time, and B) they have money - your average 20 something trying to build a career often has neither. Think of it this way, how many 20 year olds do you see racing sailboats? All of them are in their late 30's and up.

HTRN
    EGO partum , proinde EGO sum