Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - But Critical if You're an Online Buyer!

Exclamation OT - But Critical if You're an Online Buyer!

It seems your newly elected Congress is pressing forward with plans to implement SSTP (State Simplification Tax Project). This bill, if passed, will require all US buyers to pay sales tax AND all sellers to collect and remit sales taxes to each taxing authority of the purchaser. At present, that's over 7,600 taxing jurisdictions. If the bill is passed, the SSTP allows for a different rate for each zip code - that's as many as 49,000 different jurisdictions. More when you consider that there are zip codes with split jurisdictions. (Up to 4 for my zip alone.)

Right now, I remit sales taxes collected for items purchased within Texas at my location's rate. Because I'm outside any city limits, the tax rate I charge is about 1.5% less. If this bill goes through, online sellers would have to charge and remit sales taxes for/to each buyer's jurisdiction. While this isn't that bad for the volume I do online, it certainly will be a complicated mess for sellers that sell thousands of items a month.

What were they thinking? This could put Ebay and every online catalog out of business.
    Last edited by CCWKen; 01-25-2007 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen
    What were they thinking?
    That pretty much answers your question
    FuQ

BillH Guest

Tax and spend liberals...
    Im in a quite weird situation. I'm going to be a Federal Employee, air traffic controllers. Im a life long conservative, but it makes me sick to my stomach that Hillery, Schumer, and other libs are my best friend as far as my federal paycheck goes... As long as they think they will get my vote, thats good enough. Hehehe.
    So when repubs are in power, I take a pay cut but get tax cuts too. When liberals are in power, taxes go up, but so do my wages. It seams I managed to find a happy medium no matter how much **** hits the fan.

Not to turn this into a political thread but your raises come on the backs of small businesses like mine and a hundred others here. If you want to thank those that provide you with your job, buy US made tools.

The amount of money being lost by municipalities and states in sales tax due to internet and mail order sales is driving them crazy, and they are tearing their hair out trying to figure out how to recoup it.

Ohio, and, I think, some other states had tried to pass legislation requiring eBay sellers to have an auctioneer's license. That got defeated. Now they are on the sales tax kick it seems. Another example of "taxing the rich" I suppose. Funny how the little guy still ends up paying for it.

It has been defeated before, and the best start is writing your state and federal representatives. I am sure eBay and some others will have information available if you can't find it anywhere else.
    Jim H.

Does this mean all the resellers will have to apply for a resell card to avoid paying taxes? Bunch of BS to me.Wouldn't surprise me at all if it passes.Next thing you know before you can have a yard sale you'll have to file for a permit through the city so you can collect taxes on their behalf.

The amount of money being lost by municipalities and states in sales tax due to internet and mail order sales is driving them crazy, and they are tearing their hair out trying to figure out how to recoup it.
    Sounds like the scheme of the USPS trying to recoup monies lost in postage due to e-mail?

BillH Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JCHannum

Ohio, and, I think, some other states had tried to pass legislation requiring eBay sellers to have an auctioneer's license. That got defeated. Now they are on the sales tax kick it seems. Another example of "taxing the rich" I suppose. Funny how the little guy still ends up paying for it.

It has been defeated before, and the best start is writing your state and federal representatives. I am sure eBay and some others will have information available if you can't find it anywhere else.
    Don't forget the little shop owners who have to compete with the online retailers. Im going to a local pilot shop this weekend to buy a headset from him. I could save money by going online but I appreciated the time he spent with me last time I was there trying out all the different headsets. I figure he should be rewarded for his effort. Ofcourse i'm going to buy a much cheaper headset than what I wanted, but hell, money better spent on flying hours.

Cool

Uh Oh, I feel a prediction coming on...

All of the United States moves to.... at least "on paper"
    ~wink wink~ .

No Sales Tax NEVADA!

EXAMPLE: I buy stuff when "I am living in Nevada" from "a company in Nevada", and then I don't pay taxes!
    ~ TheShooter
    Molon Labe! (
    "Come and take them!")
    "It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once." óDavid Hume
    NRA Certified Home Firearm Safety & Basic Pistol Instructor

Well, the facts are, the government is loosing money in the form of sales tax so I dont wonder why they would not be trying to reorganize online and state to state sales. If it does not get reformed now, guaranteed it will be eventually. Where there is money to be collected it will be. JRouche