Thread: Groz table and another new parting tool.

Hybrid View

Default Groz table and another new parting tool.

Hey guys! (How come no gurlz stick around here )
    I've had this little Groz tilting table for about a year or more but never had time to fool with it. Was making a new parting tool holder tonight. I needed to mill a 3deg angle for the HSS parting blade in this new holder. The table works slick!
    You may notice that I keep forgetting to buy a dovetail cutter so I have to go to great lengths to get things done at times.
    Here's the first cuts at 3*

Now I had to get creative and use a 1/8" slot drill to mill a little bottom groove to hold the bottom edge.

Now flip it back up again and mill a retainer slot in the top with a 1/8" keyway cutter (again at 3*)

Cut a slot in it just under the top retainer...with the block in the bandsaw.
    Now drill and tap for socket head clamping bolts and we have yet another parting tool

This actually cuts very well. I monkeyed with a chip breaker a bit and actually got it to work. It cuts almost as good as the carbide insert. Buut...regrinding(all by hand of course) it to dead center and getting the chip breaker the same everytime is a PITA!
    Very cheap cutoff tool though. The "Made in India" blades are pretty darn good IMO.
    Russ (I now have parting tools that I'll forget I own....soon)
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

As always, very nice AND creative work Russ. I like that little table too, one of these days I'll run across something like that. For now, I do have a 4" 3 axis Wilton if needed, but it's such a pain to tram in as well as being heavy and awkward, that I pretty much never use it. I need something smaller and more convenient like yours...

One thought, ever considered an Aloris knock-off? The "quick change" bit is nice, but for my use, it's just a convenience and not really a necessity. But having the ability to swap/grind/modify/replace tools and then set on center in less than 10 seconds with the twist of a thumb wheel, now THAT is well worth the price of admission!

Russ..Geez, I almost missed that. I never considered an Aloris or otherwise tool post before but I'm starting to like the idea. The more I learn, the faster things seem to go (sometimes) and a time saver like that would be good.
    I think it'd really shine when using HSS tooling. Getting center with newly ground bits or boring tools would be so much easier than shimming everything.
    I came from a rocker post beginning so I actually like how stiff this toolpost is.
    I have tools I don't even know I own...