Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motor speed control

Default Motor speed control

I have a gear head mill with a 1.5hp single phase motor and it whacks the hell out of the gears on start-up.
    Is there a reasonably priced motor speed controller for single phase ?

Not for brush-less motors. I suppose you could use a Variac to reduce the voltage for start up but I would run it at full power after that. For each 5% reduction in voltage, you loose 10% of your torque.

Check the gear box and make sure it has enough oil. Another option is to increase the viscosity of the oil used. It sounds like there's too much clearance in the gear train. Either by wear or assembly.

Talking

... or the old used car transmission fix. Now where's that ground cork??
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

I happen to have a industrial "carrier" brand single phase motor speed control.. unfortunatly I can't find any information about it, how to hook it up or what company actually made it..

there are single phase speed controls out there.. one problem.. the starting capacitor.. it will kill power transistors making the wave out.

What size is the motor? I run across 3phase motors, dc motors all the time.

(my communication problem is showing_) what FRAME is the motor? base-cradle mount? C-face mount?
    Excuse me, I farted.

ground cork never " porridge " is the answerAlistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Just wondering, would a different value starting cap soften the startup?
    Gene

Independent principality of Sinquefieldia (formerly Missouri)

A reduced voltage, or resistive start-up might slow the start-up somewhat and not clang stuff as badly.

You might also check all the pulley and gear keys.... maybe one has been "wallered out" and has a bunch of play in it.

J:

I remember trying to find out the "CLANG" when I'd shift gears.. seems the rear end didn't have any dope in it..

Lots of bridgys have noisy pulleys.. the sliding ways are wallered out.. somebody said they had plastic keys in them at one time.

Somethings are just easier to ignore.. till it falls out in the floor..

Old Vw's make different noises, run it seems forever.. no water jacket to dampen noise.
    Excuse me, I farted.

Actually, it's a 2 hp metric B5 flange frame. I misplaced a 1/2 horse there at first.
    There is a prescribed fix for this mill and that's a 2 hp Leeson 3 phase with a VFD but until I can rub the sheckles together I'd rather leave the teeth on the gears.
    ..Just bothers me to hear it start up like I dumped the clutch at redline.
    For some reason I had thoughts of "SCR's" and "triacs" and other electronic doo-dads in mind when I searched Google but I couldn't find anything that made immediate sense or appeared reasonably priced as an interim fix.

Quote Originally Posted by QSIMDO
    There is a prescribed fix for this mill and that's a 2 hp Leeson 3 phase with a VFD but until I can .
    I just finished the final tweaks on a Hitachi VFD for my new 9x42 today and its pretty amazing. You certainly wouldnt have a problem dialing in a soft start with a VFD!! You can set the thing so you could get a cup of coffee while waiting to come up, if needed.-----And then theres that wonderful variable speed!!
    If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........