Thread: OT on the noon news in Detroit

Default OT on the noon news in Detroit

GM is in talks to purchase Chrysler Corp from the Germans. Just when you thought it was safe to think about buying a car. Since GM is planning on fronting for the Chinese brands in the near furture, they can be a shill for all the brands. lol
    Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

I don't see how GM can buy them. GM can't afford the people they have now.

Psst::::

It's called liquidation of your competitors.
    Excuse me, I farted.

... We're losing money on every car we sell, but we hope to make it up on volume.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

We're losing money on every car we sell, but we hope to make it up on volume.
    doesn't make sense to me surely that way they will lose more money!Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

It's a joke Alistair.
    It's the rediculousness of the statement that comprises the humor.
    (I think)

(added) plus the implication that some corporate heads are so dumb they'd probably adopt that as a strategy.
    Last edited by lynnl; 02-16-2007 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TGTool
    ... We're losing money on every car we sell, but we hope to make it up on volume.
    TG, I've always liked your sig line (but you should remove the slashes that appeared when they upgraded this forum).

Anyway, in this case, the sig is especially appropriate. I love Will Rogers quotes.

-Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair Hosie
    We're losing money on every car we sell, but we hope to make it up on volume.
    doesn't make sense to me surely that way they will lose more money!Alistair
    I don't know what sort of humor the Scotts (1 or 2 ts?) have but I have a
    hard time with British humor as exemplified by Punch . Use to look at an
    Anglophiles copy back years ago.
    I wonder what response we'd get from the bit about Making a living taking
    in eachothers laundry? :-)
    ...lew...

Quote Originally Posted by TGTool
    Yeah, that's humor and a little poke at some corporate thinking. I had a guy tell me about his discussion with a grocery store stock clerk. --True Story -- My guy used to buy a certain variety of tomato juice with seasonings that he particularly liked. Sometimes they'd have it, sometimes it was out of stock. One day when he's peering in the shelf, and can't find his favorite, he sees the stocker there so asks about it. "Oh yeah," the guy says, "We're dropping that because we just can't keep it in stock." Duh?! An ideal product is one where the shelf is always full??? (Because nobody buys it.)

It actually happens a lot in businesses that some decisions are dysfunctional from the larger business standpoint, because they're made for one person's advantage, not the organization's. Called local optimization. I heard that at one time when the Dutch held the spice islands (now Indonesia) mace was more expensive and more in demand in Europe than nutmeg. So they sent out an order to cut down the nutmeg trees and plant mace trees. Trouble was, they both come from the same tree.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

The auto companies do so many amazing things that are so stupid it is beyond words. After a lot of press here about the ford exec that was given a private jet to fly home and back to work each week.
    He lives in Palm Beach Fla. It cost Fords $70,000 plus a month for it. this went on for a number of years. And as Fords has been crying about how much the people building the cars make. Some body figured out that 27 people could get paid for a year, with what they spend on the plane. After getting their heads beat in on a local TV and then the newspapers the decided to make him take a flight with real people each way. But Fords will still pay for it.
    Some one reported that the guy had said at some point you can't exectp his family to move to the Detroit area with the way it is!
    Typical executive thinking!
    Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only