Thread: Need help for an EMCO Super 11 Lathe

Default Need help for an EMCO Super 11 Lathe

Recently obtained a EMCO super 11. Looking for a manual and parts. Is there any company in the US which have one or both?

If you'd like a manual in .pdf format, send me your email address by PM. Is it a green or red machine? I have manuals for both. They were previously posted (with permission) on a Yahoo Maximat Super 11 group which has since been removed due to lack of traffic ... a Yahoo thing.

Too_Many_Tools Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nheng
    If you'd like a manual in .pdf format, send me your email address by PM. Is it a green or red machine? I have manuals for both. They were previously posted (with permission) on a Yahoo Maximat Super 11 group which has since been removed due to lack of traffic ... a Yahoo thing.
    Do you know if the resources the group held is located elsewhere?

&*#^$^% Yahoo.

TMT

Thanks, NHENG, just what I was looking for. I went to Blueridge machinery and ran into another question. I was wondering what type of oil is used in the gear box. They have a special oil which seems to be really expensive. Can you run regular gear oil?

Sorry, I usually check the General forum instead of this one.

Emco's oil is not magic, nor is Blue Ridge's price On the smaller 8.6 machine, I run Mobil Velocite spindle oil. For the larger 11, this is a bit on the light side. I'd use Mobil Hydraulic oil in an ISO32 grade (not to be confused with SAE grades). You can get it from McMaster for around $14 a gallon, MSC and others also have it.

You may want to talk to the Emco office in Ohio. They service the Maximat 11 and larger and may have a suggested oil. Don't be afraid to ask them what the ISO grade is for THEIR oil if necessary. They need to be able to provide this so people can use other suitable oils, of which there are many.

TooManyTools, I haven't seen the content mirrored elsewhere. It's too bad that it happened. A group can develop a good info base and then ... POOF ! ... it's gone.

Just took a quick look at Blue Ridge's Emco page. They're saying the "special" oil should also be used in the quick change box. For low speed gearing under load, I'd feel better with a Mobil gear oil. The old machinist's adage however, is that any oil is better than no oil.

Den
    Last edited by nheng; 03-02-2007 at 08:34 PM.

I ordered the "special" oil from Emco for my Super 11. It was clearly marked:
    Mobil DTE 25
    Have fun,
    John

Thanks, your help is greatly appreciated.

T

britcollector Guest

As an Emco Maximat Super 11 owner, I used to enjoy reading all the discussions and files posted on the Yahoo Super 11 users. It was a real disappointment when that group closed down.

Well, I have resurrected it and the group is online again…but…unfortunately, all of the files, photos and discussions that were part of the original group are no longer there. So…we need members and new discussions!!! If you are an enthusiast of the Emco Maximat Super 11’s and the FB-2 mills, please join and contribute. Help this group become as good as it was!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Super11UsersGroup

Tim