Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The ol' Ohio #2 is makin chips!

Default The ol' Ohio #2 is makin chips!

10 minutes before midnight MST! Just got done making the first chips. Been a looong day. All kind of problems. Some kind of strange bolts for the drive lugs, prolly a "Special" thread. Then I didn't have the right size key stock for the arbour. Took awhile to figure the X feed but it does work now. Got a ton of runnout in the home made arbour...about .020. Funny...something just clicked. The ol' lathe we have came from the same part of the country. It has 20 thou runnout. what are the chances this arbour was made on this lathe?
    Milled a chunk of cast aluminum cuz I didn't have the right key. All my gear repairs run quiet, my home made U-joint runs true...all in all an ok deal.
    Those VFD's sure howl when you plug them in huh? Pretty cool rig though.
    Pics tomorrow.
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

It's been a long road,congratulations...it sure is nice when a project comes together without a lot of smoke.
    We will be expecting pics of a lot of shiney chips in the morning.
    Yeah the VFDs do kinda sound like turbine in the distance don't they,kinda industrial.Hope everything works out well.
    I can just about see that ear to ear grin from here!
    Have fun,I'm sure you've got lots of projects lined up for the old girl once you get her dialed in.

Willy...hey , you had a part in this too..lol! Thanks for the wiring advice! Lucked out and got the 3 ph motor wires right the first try. That was the end of the good stuff though. Ah well...it works, that's all that matters. And it didn't get hauled off to the scrap yard. Would have been a shame now that I see how nice it runs. The 484 RPM with the 6" insert face mill looks like it'll be pretty usefull. Sure a lot different setting this up compared to a verticle. I think my new Kurt will end up on this and I'll buy a 4" swivel vise cheapy from Busy Bee.

I'm sure it's going to take a little adjustment after being used to a verticle mill...you just have to start thinking sideways.
    I just got my home-built computer working in the shop,just finished hooking up my $16.00 PA wireless access to it when I logged on to see your progress,sure is nice to have internet in the shop...now I'll never get inside!
    Last edited by Willy; 03-03-2007 at 02:49 AM.

Willy..$16? to get the net in the shop? Hmmm...wonder is that rig would reach 200 ft? LOL!
    Got up and took a couple pics for you all!
    Here we're ready for a .150 doc pass on this happless piece of alu

And of course it was no fair...the ol' gurl goes through it like nothing.

Not a big deal really...I have to get a proper key today and need to hook up the new coolant system (one of those cheap lil parts washers) so I can mill some steel.
    The bolts for the drive lugs are bugging me. I THINK they are a 7/16" Special Thread. I tried everything in my junk buckets...it's not NF and doesn't appear to be metric. The machine is from the 1930's so I have no idea what the thread is. I'll have to try to get in there to somehow measure them. Can't really go the next size up as it would be too big.
    After the big disappointment with the CNC R/T this is all a big relief that it's worked out so well. Now I just need a couple of good arbors and it'll be cutting gears!
    Russ

I'll need your address so I know where to send the big stuff I can't do in 200 passes on my rung foo !!

Quote Originally Posted by torker
    Those VFD's sure howl when you plug them in huh?
    Hi Russ,

You can increase the VFD's carrier frequency to reduce the whining. Look in the manual for the "Carrier Frequency Adjustment" or "Switching Frequency." It's usually adjustable from 500 Hz up to 16 Khz. I wouldn't go above 5 Khz, but even a little increase of 500 Hz or so makes a big difference in the inverter whine.

Neat machine! Universal table too -- you're all set for gearmaking!

Robert

Russ, if you can make a Sulphur cast of the threaded holes, when the cast is cooled, you ought to be able to back it out of the holes and directly measure the threads.

Robert..Thanks! I'll have to check that out.
    Al...You lost me there. What is a Sulphur casting? I like the sound of it. Would be handy for a lot of things if a person knew how to do it
    I'm just waiting for a coolant nozzle holder to cool. Just welded up a gadget so I can place the coolant anywhere I want quick and easy. Then the coolant system is ready. I'll be making more chips tonight.
    Russ

Russ,
    Way to go! Now that itís working you will start to find ways to use a Horizontal mill that you never dreamed of. They are great for squaring up parts that aren't as easy to square up on a vertical, drilling holes in the end of long stock, cutting slots with a saw instead of an end mill and all kinds of other fun stuff. Itís really cool when you can start stacking cutters and cut profiles like t-nuts in one pass.
    Mark Hockett