Thread: grizzly drum sander

Question grizzly drum sander

Have any of you ever upgraded a grizzly drum sander.

If i had one i might upgrade it ...

Out of curiosity, what did you have in mind?

Unhappy

The dust collection is awful, the sandpaper comes off, the conveyor bearings are steel sleeves, there is no thickness indicator and the platen is particle board.
    I can live with a lot of this but the dust collection really needs help.

What model/width sander do you have?

I can tell you one thing for sure,planers,drum sanders and wide belt sanders require large dust collectors.

I had a 24" two drum that took nearly 1200cfm to be just adequate.Maybe some added sheetmetal fairings and some rubber flaps would cut it down,but it will still take a lot.

The platen I would replace with MDF or HDF and cover it with graphite cloth.

My dust collector is that big but I still have to brush 1/8" of dust off the boards. The model I have is a 1066. Which is 24" wide 2 drum. I would be grateful for any ideas on making parts for dust collection, thanks.

Post Not to start a flame war here,

But I think, wierdscience, is stating "actual" cfm at the ports of the sander, not the "advertised" cfm of the collector. I agree that the even a small drum sander is going to toss a lot of crap into the air. On the entry and exit side, you might be able to add a "brush" to close in the dust and not add to much drag to the feed rollers.

You might experiment with an "air stripper jets" (I know what I am thinking, and I know what you are thinking, I just can't remember the words). But basically, you make a series of air nozzles to "push" the particles off the belt so that the dust collection could suck them up.

There are a couple of different methods of attaching the sandpaper, so I don't have any idea of how to "upgrade" the method on your machine.
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

I got the velcro kit to hold the sandpaper better.I also figured out how to put pillow blocks on the conveyor rolls. I was thinking of some kind of baffle system for inside for the dust collection but wasn't sure just what to make. The biggest problem I think, is the hood is so open inside. The dust just can't be picked up properly. I am grateful for any help, thanks.

Tech is correct,1250 or better at the nozzle.Most times you will see a 7 or 8" trunk line transitioning to two 5" ports.A 3hp until close to and running full bore would do it.

Brush bars and some sheetmetal farings added around the drums will cut down on losses also.Companies that sell conveyors can help too.They have things like brush bars and plastic scrapers that can knock the stuff loose where the colector can handle it.

Oh,if you don't already have one a grounding system is a must on a sander collection system,helps prevent dust explosions.

Thanks everyone, I do have my dust collector system grounded. I would be scared not to. Brushes sound like a good idea. Can someone explain the best way to make farings?

Smile Thanks

Thanks for everyone responding. I got the drums reversed. It works tons better now. I still have to make scoops for the dust collection. I am making some progress. Thanks again.