Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: special tool for manual lathe

Hybrid View

Default special tool for manual lathe

Years ago machining for production was done on turret lathes. My past employeer did this also until about 15yrs ago, then when 85% mazak, but anyway... There was a tool used to do undercuts for internal threaded parts so you have a groove (recess) to install a rubber washer for the seal. To operate you run the saddle in to set your depth inside part then pull the handle on this toolholder which would raise your cutter to cut recess behind the threads. I have contacted several tooling suppliers such as Dorian and Aloris and they all are drawing a blank. Does anyone have an idea what I'm even trying to describe???? The turret lathes used were 1940's and 50's.

According to "Capstan & Turret Lathe Practice" from Machinery's standard reference series, it is a Recessing Slide Tool. I think I have seen them called something else as well. I have one but I am going to keep it.
    Will

Is there any branding on it to know who may sell or have one for sale. We run some 2000 parts per quarter and this would surly speed things up

Post Recess slide tool holder

a1erock,

One of these guy's? Don't know where you can get them any more.

Les H.
    The Impossible Takes Just A Little Bit Longer!

ebay might be a good source. They show up there fairly often.

I have a few smaller ones with 5/8 and 3/4" shanks for relatively light work on Hardinge type second op machines.

The east coast screw machine tooling houses should have lots of them for sale. Try somebody like this,

http://www.autoscrewamsco.com/

Edward Andrews manufactured turret lathe tooling. I don't know if they still do, but they are still in business. Give them a try;

http://www.edwardandrews.com/
    Jim H.

IOWOLF Guest

You can also get automatic ones where you don`t need to pull a handle.These come up against the face of the part and as you keep bringing the turret forward the tool moves out and cuts the recess.Cogsdill make them amongst others.

Default more recessing tool holders

http://www.slatertools.com/recess_shank_tool_holder.htm

These holders are made for screw machines and turret lathes.

IOWOLF Guest

I see we have been digging in the archives ,Peter.