Thread: Any HSM's or small jobshoppers in S.E.NY?

Post Any HSM's or small jobshoppers in S.E.NY?

Any of you out there in the Elmira,Ithaca
    Binghamton area (or farther out if driving
    isn't a problem) interested in possibly
    forming a networking group (club?) for discussion of Metalworking, Manual/CNC machines and machining,CNC retrofits and programming, Live steam, I/C engine models,well, you get the idea.
    email me at DKMACHINE@AOL.COM

dan k

Sounds like a great idea. I live in the Fingerlakes, about 30 miles north of Ithaca. I have a sister that lives in Binghampton that I visit once in while so it wouldn't be too much of a drive for me. There are some good auctions in this neck of the woods and it would be nice to learn about some down your way. My shop runs from woodworking to metalworking to electronics. I've got an old Bridgeport, 10" Atlas, Powermatic 66, Makita SCMS, planer, 4x6 bandsaw, 16" home-brew bandsaw, Habegger Neotor Swiss lathe, 12" Troyke rotary table, both wire-feed & stick welders and various used take-off servo-motors, DRO components etc. My day job is Engineer, my other time is for whatever is profitable.

DLS

Hi Daryl,
    Wow,I was beginning to wonder if there <wasen't > anybody out
    there in USNY.
    Now lets hope maybe 5-10 more brave folks respond.
    Any other ideas on how I can get the word out better?

dan k

I live in Owego, near Binghamton. I would also be interested. I'm just starting out, bought a mill this summer and am now looking for a lathe. Any pointers to local auctions/etc would be welcome.

Jim

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dan k:
    forming a networking group (club?) for discussion of Metalworking, Manual/CNC machines and machining,CNC retrofits and programming, Live steam, I/C engine models,well, you get the idea.

dan k
    </font>
    --------------------------
    Hi Dan,

I live downstate from you in Middletown, NY, 2 hours south of Binghamton, I'm 50 years young (I can say that now that I turned 50, junior grade member AARP, HA!). I have 20 years experience in the trades in production, maintenance and some tool and die work, in various shops, a true journeyman. I apprenticed with a (enter cuss words) fine tool maker. I know a couple of things, just enough to get in or maybe out of trouble. This board is starting to amount to something!

Kurt

Wink

HI,

I live 2 hours downstate from Binghamton in Middletown, New York. Route 17 is a nice, pretty drive in daylight. I have 20 years experience in production, maintenance and toolmaking, some die work, automatic lathes, NC tape lathes and millers, and CNC lathes. I apprenticed with a (enter cuss words here) fine tool maker. I have worked in various shops (I get bored with repetition), a real live "journey" man. I have a nice little hobby shop at home.

Kurt

Ok, guys
    Lets keep those "cards& letters" coming.
    I'd like to get some kind of meeting schedule
    together & see about setting up a place to meet (possibly a local BOCES machine shop room or regular class room). Ultimate goals might be a club shop with machines (well, OK, I'm just daydreaming here). I've read about some of the activities of the clubs west of here in Cleveland, etc., where they use the local BOCES shop & make patterns, pour castings, etc. This is exciting to me. If we could get some young people involved and interested also, all the better!
    Email me direct with ANY ideas or suggestions you may have on how to pull this together into a real club.

thanks

dan k

Wink

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jimy:
    I live in Owego, near Binghamton. I would also be interested. I'm just starting out, bought a mill this summer and am now looking for a lathe. Any pointers to local auctions/etc would be welcome.

Jim
    </font>
    ------------------------------
    Check out www.mermac.com He is out on Long Island. Also check out and ask questions at rec.crafts.metalworking accessed at www.google.com get on the BETA USENET newsgroups there, just look around, it is there.// If you want new, JET stuff isn't too bad, but I don't think it would hold uo to 7 day/24 hour production. But parts are available, next day if you want to pay the postage.//
    I have a SHOPTASK 3-in-1, but it basically needed to be rebuilt once you get it, not for a beginner, definitely not production quality.// If you have the room get a used Bridgeport for around $2,000, get it with the dovetailed collumn, then you can tram the table dead. For a lathe a 10 or 13 inch South Bend is nice and books are available for operation and maintenance.

Kurt

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dan k:

dan k
    </font>
    -------------------------------
    Hi,

Sorry about the double entry, I didn't see it right away so wrote it again. I've got WEBTV, it takes a day for me to see posts I write today!// Why not get a Forum setup at www.delphi.com (.jpg pic files can be posted there)? I access a SHOPTASK forum there, it is a great think tank where owners of the machine can brainstorm, it is a quite useful place, worldwide English speaking access!// I would consider coming up occasionally to your area on a weekend, but not on a regular basis.// YAHOO groups accessed thru www.egroups.com also has machinist sites, and you could set up a user group there, too. I prefer Delphi, though.

Kurt

You may not get this in time but it's worth a try. There is an auction tommorrow morning in Rochester that has a tool-room lathe in it. Maybe just over the edge of pickup truck size, but you can look at it on their website, www.steevesco.com. It has been my experience that anything over a convenient size to move gets cheap very quickly as the size goes up. Good enough reason to have a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup. The place is a small tool & die shop who's owner has retired. Good luck.

DLS

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jimy:

Jim
    </font>