Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I like garage sales...(minor tool gloat)

Default Why I like garage sales...(minor tool gloat)

Got a few good deals today. Everything in the first pic was $.25ea. I got about 20 files, all with a lot of life left in them. A couple of old Crapsman, but mostly Nicholson and Sandvik, with a few japanese and finish throw in for good measure. The mic is a Fowler. Let's see, there's also an MT3 reamer, chain strap wrench, torch cleaner, trepaning tool, and some kind of multi-axis jig I'd like to adapt to my grinder for tool sharpening.
    <>
    Things were going well, so I decided to up the ante. I got everything in this next pic for a total of $10. A large USA gear puller, decent hand sledge, 2 Millers Falls breast drills, a valve resurfacing tool set, and an old heavy duty soldering iron.
    <>
    When I got to this next sale, I kinda lost my head and shot the wad. For the princely sum of $13, I picked up this cute little Champion Blower Forge No. 50 drill press. This little guy must weigh well over 60#! They sure don't make 'em this solid anymore. I've already gone thru the spindle and checked/regreased everything else. It's nice to work on such a simple little devil. I have a 1/2 Reliance DC motor and drive that I think may find it way onto it. All in all, a great day with about as much fun as I could have (legally) for $30. Have fun! SG
    <>

Man I have no luck at garage sales! If I want baby clothes, I'm set, but tools, no way!
    You never learn anything by doing it right.

.... and beanie babies, old sofas.....

Doug

Take a close look at your chain wrench, what you probabbly have is a glass tube cutter for gage glasses. See if the chain sections have a little wheel in the center. I have one of the gage glass cutters that is a clone of the one in the picture. Of course you could use it as the chain wrench on really small and light duty piping.
    Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Good call Pt! I was going to replace the little bit of chain there with something longer and I did notice that it had the type of wheels you're talking about. I actually did already use it as a mini-strap wrench and it worked well (only up to about 1.25" dia). Thanks for the info!

The multiaxis jig is a filing guide for circular saw blades, I have one like it except one of the die cast hinge pins broke off. I used to file my own blades, but when carbide tipped blades became more affordable I went to them, and haven't filed a circular blade for years.
    Jim

Nice little drill press,my boss has one he got when he was a kid.It was modified to carry v-belts too,seems everyone of those I have ever seen has been modified,four of them so far,guess the round belt just didn't cut it.

Looks like some great finds!

I did better than you yesterday though! My wife stumbled on a 2001 Maytag Neptune front loading washer at a yard sale for $20. Guy said it would not spin out. I bought it for $10, got it home, took it apart and found the door lock motor was burned up. I ordered a new replacement for $19 and now have a $1200 dollar washing machine for $29 bucks.

I, however, rarely stumble across any kind of tools or tooling at yard sales in my town. I would rather have tools than a washing machine anyday!

Later,
    Jason

I picked up a digital camara for cheap, now I need to find the manual.

Looks like Jcamb2 wins though with his $30 washing-machine.
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

Post I may only have old junk, but it is my old junk.

I told SWMBO that I was going to run upstate to the Griz tent sale, but she said that the neighborhood was having a bunch of garage sales today and she was going to put some stuff out. I stayed home to make sure none of MY stuff went out with the baby clothes, kid's old toys, etc. There is nothing like coming back to the shop, only to find she sold everything for $25, and then gave $20 to the kids to buy stuff at the other sales. I guess sometimes you have to play a defensive game.
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."