Thread: OT Whats a good asking price for the TH400?

Default OT Whats a good asking price for the TH400?

What do you guys think is a reasonable asking price for my TH400 transmission? Its in good condition, ~80,000 miles with rebuilt valvebody, B&M shift improvement kit, B&M chrome deep depth pan, new B&M vacuum modulator, new kick down solenoid, new seals, new rear bushings. It needs a TC and the two bushings that the TC neck ride in replaced. Napa said they could order those for me for like 8 bucks so if i decide to sell it might go ahead and replace those.

So... what do you think?

The turbo 400 is widely available.

$150.00 would be good for a local buyer. JRouche

If it was a 4wd tranny it'd be worth a few more bucks but a basically stock type th400 won't bring a pile of money.
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Thanks guys!

Friend just bought a performance a747 trans from fairbanks (?) for $700 or therebouts.

Trannies are only expensive when they are known to be a week link, many of the fwd chryslers have week trannies, and junkyards know that so they are expensive, Tranny for the wifes dodge is over $600 my truck is $75 at the same scrapper. If I had the a4ld in my truck it would be a $600 tranny too.

TH400 is a common trans, and very strong, so not in serious demand for replacement.

once bought a 5 year old truck in great shape otherwise for $200 because the tranny work it needed would cost over $1700.

ken.

price would also vary on wether it is a Chev or B-O-P bell housing and the tail housing length. Also other variables play into the price as to what vintage/version it is as not all are the same.
    lg
    no neat sig line

Oh good point - its a short tail GM case built in 1978. It has a lockup TC and is designated CM (the C for lockup TC i think and the M had something to do with application/duty?)

It needs a TC and the two bushings that the TC neck ride in replaced. Napa said they could order those for me for like 8 bucks so if i decide to sell it might go ahead and replace those. So... what do you think?
    That's one bushing and a front seal, an o-ring that goes around the pump and a gasket. Of course, to change all that you have to remove the front pump.
    "The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the greatest liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth." H. L. Mencken

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."

"When fear rules, reason and logic are ruled out."

Yeah your right - not sure what i was thinking. I've had the front pump out already. Replaced the o-ring, paper gasket, and a metal clad seal but Napa didnt have the bushing on hand. I was leaving for Missouri the next day so i didnt replace the bushing. The idea was to loosely bolt everything back together to take with me and once i was down there, disassemble everythiny again and order the bushing. Instead it ended being torqued down and reinstalled ...