Thread: Air powered pop rivet gun nozzle/tip spec

Default Air powered pop rivet gun nozzle/tip spec

Hi

Is there a specification for these kinds of Air powered pop rivet gun nozzle/tip. ie do they conform to "standard" sizes? Or are they "different" depending on manufacturer?

The unit I have came (2nd hand) without these tips. I would like to make some replacements and would like to be able to find out what thread size is used and the length of the tips. The length varies depending on the size (diameter) of rivet being used.

If there are no "standard" sizes then I will have to work form the example shown in the photo. This tip is from my normal hand operated poprivet gun. It does work in the airpowered tool but I did have to adjust the mechanism slightly to have it function properly (most of the time )

There is no brand name on the unit - probably some Chinese import. There seem to be NO spare parts available from any of the local tool suppliers.

Kind regards

Peter

I've got one of the air powered riveters. I lost all but one tip in the unit. I'll run out to the barn and check it. BRB

These appear to be made from 10mm hex stock. The thread is 8 x 1.25mm. You could probably retap the head 3/8x18 and get away with it.

There is nothing magical about these tips. The only thing that is different from one to the other is the diameter of the through hole and that is determined by the size pop-rivet that you want to use.

Hi
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
    There is nothing magical about these tips. The only thing that is different from one to the other is the diameter of the through hole and that is determined by the size pop-rivet that you want to use.
    The LENGTH varies depending on the diameter of the pop rivet used. The reason for this is that the internal "jaws" that grip the stem of the rivet MUST be "pushed" further back for larger diameter rivets to allow the larger diameter stem to enter the "jaws".

The spring that pushed the jaws against the back of the tip makes it difficult to insert a wider stem if the length remained the same.

You can see this even on the tips of hand powered pop rivet guns.
    Kind regards

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen
    These appear to be made from 10mm hex stock. The thread is 8 x 1.25mm. You could probably retap the head 3/8x18 and get away with it.
    Thanks Ken.

It does seem like I expected, that the size/shape/length varies between manufacturers. Your tips appear to be made of steel whereas the tips from my hand powered pop rivet gun (useable in the air PRG) are made from aluminium.

I guess I will make a matching set to those in the hand powered PRG. As the first one works it follows that the others, if made to the matching sizes will work with the adjustment I made to get the first tip to work.

I will make them with a similar tapered tip as I have found this useful in some tight spaces.

Now to find some hex aluminium
    Kind regards

Peter

The air units are pretty handy if you have a lot of rivets to do. I bought this one about 10 years ago to do one job. I ran about 13,000 rivets through it then. The last time I used it was about two years ago. It was still working then. It's not worth the air build up if you have only a few rivets to pop but they'll pull steel rivets with ease too.