Thread: Bridgeport mill wiring?

Post Bridgeport mill wiring?

Our shop was getting rid of a mill so i got a hold of it and its in my garage.Now i have to wire it up and get a 3phase convertor for it.What type do you recommend and how should i wire it,never done this before on a 3-phase convertor

Thanks
    jake

Red face

I am using a rotary one that Enco sells works great,2 hot wires go it it creates a third stinger leg for true 3 phase

My friend let me use his Phase-a Matic and it
    moved real slow,it is rated at 4-8hp.Did i hook it up wrong or is it to big to use?
    Should i stick with one that is rated for 1hp?

I have a phase-a-matic 1-3HP, 15 years never had a problem I run my lathe and B'port with it.

------------------
    Paul G.
    Paul G.

You can also get a AC drive that will take 220AC single phase in and put out 220AC or 440AC 3phase. And it's true 3 phase not 3 phase to start it then two phase to run it.
    they got them on ebay for about $250
    Kerry
    Rule #1 be 10% smarter then what you\'re working on.
    Rule #2 see Rule #1

Or build your own rotary converter using a 2 hp "dummy/idler" to supply the 3 phase. I have run my 16" SB lathe and BP from one for years. You waste the electricity used to run the idler but when you figure that against a new motor or phase converter, it doesn't amount to much.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by John Foster:
    Or build your own rotary converter using a 2 hp "dummy/idler" to supply the 3 phase. I have run my 16" SB lathe and BP from one for years. You waste the electricity used to run the idler but when you figure that against a new motor or phase converter, it doesn't amount to much.</font>
    First line should be "3rd phase"

Check the motor taps on your bridgeport head, they should be tapped to 220 volts. 4,5,6 together, etc.. should be a diagram on motor plate.

exerpt from previous post..

I then tackled the problem of using a 3 phase motor in my single phase shop.. I found and purchased a Toshiba vari-speed 2 horsepower drive ( Tos VFS9S-2015) from electric motor sales in dalton ga. (315 dollars) It has a single phase input power and.. 3 phase output. I was in hog heaven. And.. I have the option of using the vari speed to further control my milling head. it has options like current output monitoring, etc.. I mounted a ten turn speed pot in the controls head

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 04-28-2003).]