Thread: Spark Plugs for Propane???

Default Spark Plugs for Propane???

I finally (after three trips) got my Blue Streak Rotor and Cap assbly. Also 8mm Silicone wires and spark plugs AC R42 TS. The Standard 460 Ford Plug is a AC43TS but i thought since it runs on propane to run a heat range cooler?? What do you guys recomend for a Propane and Gas Dual Fuel 460 Ford engine .Its a 1984 vintage. I also wondered if different plugs would make any differance in performance and mileage Thanx Mike

NGK iridium are the plugs recommended for propane

if your using normal plugs the gaps should be set to 20% less

ngk iridium are 20 % less already

magnacor plug leads are the recommended leads ...these are similar to splitfire leads but better.

dizzy caps should have copper electrodes .

all the best.mark
    Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 07-07-2007 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aboard_epsilon
    dizzy caps should have copper electrodes.
    Over the last year or so, mostly on web forums, I've noticed a LOT of people using the term "dizzy" as shorthand for distributor. Did I miss a meeting? When did this become an acceptable term?
    Brett Jones...

its the merging of the English language as spoken in UK and USA
    ...like you are now using the word pub instead of bar.
    it wont be long ...we will all be speaking like each other .
    there wont be any difference in words .....thanks to the internet .....give it another ten years ...
    and we will be saying garbage ...and trashman .......and you over there will be saying rubbish and binman.

your sidewalk will become pavement.

already happening ........your jerks are becoming wankers... lol

and your all starting to use the word bollocks

there are many more words that are becoming common to both USA and the uk............

name a few if you want

all the best..mark

Interesting. I'd first heard (read) it from people in the US on a couple of car forums (Hybridz and the HAMB). I didn't realize it's etymology was UK based.

If we're going to start swapping common terms and slang, I'd also like register my support for women in the US to start speaking in a nice Irish lilt.

Also interesting: While doing a quick search to insure I was thinking of the right word (etymology), I ran across this site, http://www.etymonline.com .

A quick search of dizzy, did not mention distributors but it did mention blondes.
    Brett Jones...

Default Spark plug range

Hi Madman,

On the plugs to use, (heat range) go by the color. The most advantage of changing the heat range of a spark plug is if the engine is using/burning any oil. Use a hotter plug to keep from fouling if the engine is using oil of any amount.

I am not aware of any particular plug that is better for LP over the gasoline. As to the gap this might make a difference. Normally increasing the gap a small amount (over the recommended setting) will make a plug have what we refer to as a hotter spark. I would think just set them to the recommended gap per the engine that they are going in.

I personal like AC spark plugs.

skeeter

Default Propane Plugs

I ended up using AC Plugs but one range cooler. I figured if its on propane it will run a bit hiotter. AI ve never had any overheat problemsyet but then its a 1984 model and still in great shape. I also installed a oil cooler tranny cooler and temp gauge. Holds 9 quarts of oil in engine and huge tranny ciooler and hoses . Reliable but hard on fuel. Mike

The hotter burning is offset by the vapourisers cooling on the coolant.

the only thing to worry about really is some engines have valves and seats that cant stand up to LPG ..
    if you have one of these engines you need a product called flashlube.

this flashlube kit consists is a canister of special oil that doses itself into the inlet manifold

ALL THE BEST.....MARK

My experience in this area is limited to standby generators, but can't see why there would be a difference in operating temperature based on the type of fuel. My Onan, which is powered by a 4 cylinder Ford on propane, runs at 175 F. Spark plugs that work on gasoline should be fine on propane. After running a new set of plugs for a while, pull them back out and see if they offer any clues. Chances are, they will read good, and you will have little, if anything to gain by changing heat range.