Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kevlar gloves?

Post Kevlar gloves?

Too many cuts from sharp edges, I'm about ready to get a pair or two. IBEW made me think about it, with his 'got the bleeding stopped".

Are they as good as claimed?

I know they let splinters through, but I'll risk that to avoid cuts.

I went looking for another thread I thought I remembered that talked about them, but can't find it.
    So what's the scoop? Yea or nay?

Oso:
    They work great. You can weld with them too. If you still have problems you can purchase Stainless Steel Mesh gloves (developed for Coca-Cola for the bottling lines) for about $100/pr.

jfsmith Guest

Thumbs down

Buy the stainless steel mesh ones, the run of the mill kelvar gloves are wishful thinking at best. I have a set of the border partol/police type, things do get thru them. I purchased a set of scuba divers ones, they didn't last long. You can find the cheap kevlar gloes at gunshows and those places for something like 3 pair for $20.00. Save your money up.

Kevlar would not have saved my fingers. Heavy leather would have. I got pinched. Gimme a addy in a email and I will send you a pair of kevlar large is all I have tho.
    Kevlar is great for sheetmetal, not much else.

Gloves aren't a good idea around moving machinery.

If you get the glove, shirt tail, or tie cought, you'll likely be pulled in, not a nick or cut.

Busted up hands are a sign of the machining trades.

kap

Used to be, more engineers killed by getting thier neckties caught in moving machinery than anything else. Gloves are not a good ideal around moving machinery. A leather glove will protect you from some abrasion or pinch incidents, A kevlar glove will protect you from some cuts. Common sense will tell you when you need protection.
    Don't they delete all the common sense in 1st year engineering courses?

jfsmith Guest

Talking

They delete common sense day one, if the student survives thru 4 years at university, then the company that hires them has to retrain them all over again.

Neck ties should be band from places where things are moving, including the earth.

Jerry

Untwist them undies, safety inspectors.....

I was asking about the gloves for moving sharp stuff around, sheet metal, and the like.
    I can deal with busted knuckles, I hate cuts on the working side of fingers. (Seems every time I am about to go on a trip for vacation, I cut a finger, etc.)

Around the machines, I would NOT wear any such thing as a glove, particularly a tough one that won't shred off ya.....

I would take off the wedding ring, if it would come off, which it won't, so I have no choice there unless I cut it off. Since I would promptly lose it, that may be a good thing.

You guys got it wrong about engineering school. You can get thru it OK and keep good sense.
    I know what you are referring to, though.

No, the real question about many engineers is....was there any common sense there to start with....?

[This message has been edited by Oso (edited 04-30-2003).]

Oso:
    Lamont makes a nice pair - check them out. I wish I would have had kevlar when I was doing mostly sheet metal - leather just did not stand up. I think you will like them - great for picking up sharp/hot/stuff.

Thrud.. I have a pair of kevlars I was wearing while welding and handling sheet metal plates at Sequoah. I think they have melted places in them. Definitely The lil traction dots came off. They are so black I am not sure I want to wash them. I brought them all home, even some new ones followed me home. (your tax dollars at work)

OSO.. yeah.. working at the english wheel you need a pair on, your palms look like a razor blade test site. My first post concerned this, and I got chastised for wanting to wear gloves around machines. (next to my mill ) ha ha.. common sense tells people not to wear anything that might become entangled with moving parts.
    Tesla wrote about a serbian trick, you urinate on your hands to make them rough and tough. Gives you something to think about while you are eating lunch too.. I think I'll just wear gloves when I need them.