Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where can I find Wise Owl books?

Default Where can I find Wise Owl books?

I used to order the Workshop Practice books from Wise Owl because they had the best prices I could find along with fast shipping. My favorite link for them goes to some other place now.

Anyone know where they are or if they went out of business?

Thanks,
    Dan

Search here for Wise Owl books -- they're a family owned business and they are severely disorganized.

I ordered Geo H. Thomas' Workshop Practices from them, and it took over 6 months to get the book (no exaggeration), but they charged my credit card immediately.

When I finally got the book, the binding was torn. They promised me three different times to send a replacement, but I'm pretty sure they collect orders/credit card billings, and send orders to England (where the books are published) when they get enough to amortize the shipping.

It don't sound like they are wise business people if they want return customers.
    It's only ink and paper

They're in Carlsbad, California.

http://www.wiseowlmagazines.com/index.cfm?pg=AboutUs

If you look up 'disorganized' in the dictionary, you'll find a picture of their establishment.
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
    http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

They indicate when items are back ordered so I suppose they do wait until they have a large enough order to keep it profitable. Nearly all of the books I just looked at are currently back ordered.

I've never had a problem with Wise Owl but I've only ordered 'in stock' items and they've arrived in around 5 days. Their prices for the Workshop Practice Series are $14 (IIRC) while Amazon.com's prices for the same books are over $20 and Amazon.com warns that it will take many weeks to receive the book.

Thanks for the link. I think that's the 3rd link I've had for them since I began ordering from them a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by pgmrdan
    I've never had a problem with Wise Owl but I've only ordered 'in stock' items and they've arrived in around 5 days. Their prices for the Workshop Practice Series are $14 (IIRC) while Amazon.com's prices for the same books are over $20 and Amazon.com warns that it will take many weeks to receive the book.
    Many of the British WorkShop Pactice books can be ordered from the independent booksellers on Amazon for around $9.50 plus $3.50 for Royal Post.

I've used the "PBShopUS" vendor on Amazon several times, and got the book within 2 weeks.

I can't link them directly, but if you find the Workshop Practice Book on Amazon (it will typically be around $21, like you said), then click on "More Buying Choices" and scan down to the "New" books, you'll see PBShop selling them for ~ $9 each.

Great tip! Thanks Lazlo.

Wise Owl still owes me one of the workshop books (on Spindles)
    ordered 2yrs ago. What really got my goat was a special offer
    in MEW for 20mo renewal for 12mo price, and the check and order
    disappeared at Wise Owl. Check still not cashed 18mo later.
    OTOH the remainder of my order of about 5 books was duplicate
    shipped a year after the first order, (except the Spindle book)
    when I sent them an inquiry email about the missing book.
    I sent them back and have received 8 of the 9 books I have
    ordered overall. I wish the MEW website would accept out of
    country orders.
    Steve

I can highly recommend Camden Books (UK-based) for their wide range and excellent service. They tend to sell books at list price (rather than Amazon-type prices) but they send out excellent catalogues and will send by surface mail if required (cheaper). I have bought many interesting books from Camden over the years - industrial history, biographies of engineers etc, plus the usual workshop stuff.

http://www.camdenmin.co.uk/

Dan,

I have bought some books from Blue Ridge Machinery. http://www.blueridgeshoponline.com They have some books in stock. Very nice people.

Thomas