Thread: Building a Wood Chipper

Default Building a Wood Chipper

I want to build a wood chipper ( up to 2 " branch) and cannot find much in the net.
    Any one with info/plans/leads to get the info?
    Thanks, Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by mattm
    Certainly very well executed, but overdesigned IMHO. For instance, there's an outboard support bearing for the motor, which is a perfectly good idea in principle, but the mowers themselves just hang the drive and blade belts from the end of the motor shaft.

In the interests of civility (trying to pull the forum back from the swamp) I won't say his design is bad, but I would do it differently.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

First, you need some chipper teeth...

I have some. They may be a little bit of overkill though...

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

Evan I think that tooth fell of my sisters upper dentureAlistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

I recently converted an old hammermill(many are cheap or junked since grinder mixers replaced them) by taking out the hammers and leaving the cutters.(Not all hammermills have cutters).An old silage chopper would also probably work.

tattoomike68 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mattm

I like that but would stand the chipper rotor vertical so if it comes apart there is a plane that you would be in danger (Beside it). With the way that one is there is no safe place.

Its easyer to balance the rotor standing on edge anyway.

Yeah, but the whole thing is 1/2" plate so he's built in a certain safety margin. I did work with a guy who said his job in the Airforce was to paint vertical lines on the inside of the cabin marking the space where no one should be. That was the area where a propeller blade would come through the cabin if it came loose. Sobering.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

I flew to Vancouver on business one winter day years ago in a Dash 7. We were on another Dash 7 waiting for a couple of hours but it couldn't make it without a fuel stop at Kamloops which was closed by weather so they switched us to the one with bigger tanks. I always sat in front so I could chat with the pilots. That also puts you in line with the props. That trip the icing was extremely bad. The props were shedding ice and it was slamming into the fuselage a few inches from my head. The only reason I didn't panic is because I knew how strong aircraft aluminum is. It did cause enough damage that the plane had to be repaired before it could continue in service.

When we landed I found out that the plane I was originally supposed to fly on had crashed killing everyone.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here