Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stock racks

Default stock racks

I am slowly moving in to my new garage...I need ideas for inexpensive stock racks, so I'd like you to post how you store raw materials, if that isn't too much to ask.

I've only got 8 foot cielings, so I've got to do both leaning and horizontal (dang). I just like to see how other cramped people maximize their space.

tattoomike68 Guest

An old wooden book shelf turned on its side is nice for shafting less than 3' long. I like wood racks for shafting so it does not get scratched up.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

Red face

Trouble with building stock racks is in the UK with the price of metals if I built the racks I could not fill em!! (unlike Evan who seems to grow the stuff)
    Peter

(unlike Evan who seems to grow the stuff)
    I do a lot of scrounging. I also have spies working for me on the lookout for good stuff. I even buy some from time to time.

I know you only have 8 feet vertical but you can cut the stock you buy (usually 20 foot lengths, some 24) into 12 and 8. That reduces the horizontal requirement and the 8's can be stored vertical. I have all my stock cut to tens as my ceiling is 10.5'.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by ptjw7uk
    Trouble with building stock racks is in the UK with the price of metals if I built the racks I could not fill em!! (unlike Evan who seems to grow the stuff)
    Peter
    Also helps if the wife can pay you a weekly allowance.

Part of the inside metal rack along one wall.

Don't panic the floor was on temporary loan whilst I sorted some machines to go there

Actually I had to clear out to get the slotter into position.

The rack is just 5 'L' sections with arms on, the base of one is just visible in the pic. Top of each is bolted to the wall to stop it tilting but the weight makes sure it stays where it is.

The outside rack is similar but holds larger sections so I can lift then onto the saw.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Here is mine when I first built my full wall storage rack. It stores 20' lengths. Heavy stuff down on the bottom, which also provides stabilizing ballast. Just above that is the smaller but still substantial stuff. And on the small dog legs at front top, I put small and relatively light strap/tube/bar stock. Shorts below 8' are stored elsewhere.

so...john...what your saying, is that your still a loser??

I think I will store 12's outside under a very small makeshift lean to with shingles that the city need not know about. Guess I'm not removing that privacy fence yet. They dont stay 12 very long anyway. (it's either 12, 21 or 24, depending upon what I am buying).

I do sorta like the cleanliness of Evan's vertical rack...I'm just a little worried about pushing the wall over (it's an old garage and I have a tendency to build up A LOT of heavy stock). Short horizontals will go in my welding cabinet possibly in PVC if I can collect enough. Anything bigger that wont fit in PVC will just be stacked on the floor...never to be used because I'd feel too guilty about using "good material".

THanks for the pictures....