Well, it took all yesterday to get this thing off, and now more trouble.
The truck has had an exaust leak that has been getting worse. The other day I noticed the smell of the exauset was getting into the cab. Which means that I have waited too long. Who knows how many brain cells have gotten burned by carbon monoxide that I didnt smell.
So, I got off my but and pulled it apart. And of course, it was not simple. Started with removing the inner plastic wheelhouse. Pulled the other plastic covers off, started to remove the nuts off of the studs and found only 2 would come off. So it was off to Sears to get those rusty nut removers which work very well. Then, off came the other 5. Yes only 7 were removed. Then on #8 bolt, it happened. I nearly came unglued.
Ford found that it was needed to cover this bolt with some un-needed chunk of metal from the motor mount. Thanks Ford, reason #5,438 why not to buy another. Reason #5,437 was the use of junk iron that has turned into a big ball of rust and created an exaust leak as it flaked off the bolts that held it all together.
So, I unbolt the motor mount and jack the motor up. Ok, just enough room now to get the nut off.
Ok, so I have the manifold off and on the mill. I milled down the old rusty studs that hold on the exaust collector. It is now ready for new studs. And while I'm at it, I'll replace the studs in the head. Mostly because thay are usless at this point from the rust. While I was out getting the studs, I pick up a cam style stud remover.
To the point, all of the studs came out..... except for one. Upper left on number 8 cylinder. It broke off. Nice. Never did like using studs on exaust manifolds anyway.
So today I will attempt to weld on a nut and give it another try. If that dont work, I'll be in the shop today making a drill jig to bolt on so that I can drill the darn thing out correctly and repair it.
So much for a relaxing weekend, but I guess I was only kidding myslef thinking that I would relax. And, like always, I was thinking I should have sent this job off to the guys at the garage to fix it. Then they would have had to deal with this!
Off to get dirty....