Thread: drill pad/crotch center

Default drill pad/crotch center

In my dreams or my imagination, I think I remember seeing a drilling crotch center on a friends SB 10K. Lately, I've been thinking that
    would be a nice accessory. Looking in the 3rd edition of HTRAL, I see both drill pads and crotch centers were listed as accessories.
    Any chance anyone might have a crotch center they'd like to part with?

I also seem to remember seeing an article about making one. Could anyone point me to that?

Thanks.

Alan

Alan, you are capable of making your own drill pad. Just turn and thread a short section of Steel betweee centers, then reverse the workpiece and using the compound, turn a tapered shank to fit your tailstock socket. Drill and thread a blank disc of whatever diameter you want your drill pad to be and tightly screw the two pieces together. Then mount it between centers and face the business side of it. Acrotch center would be basically done the same way except the final step would be to mill the "V" slot in the center. Give it a try----you CAN do it!

alcostich,

I made a crossdrilling fixture block scaled to my lathe after seeing this
    video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRcGfni70CI

I milled the V-groove with a 90 deg. drill-mill endmill held in a collet so the groove is on centerline. Now I just have to swap the block out for my toolpost, indicate the block square and I'm ready to cross-drill. It makes for a very rigid set-up.
    Last edited by moldmonkey; 09-28-2007 at 07:34 PM.

Default Vee-block in vice on drill

Quote Originally Posted by alcostich
    In my dreams or my imagination, I think I remember seeing a drilling crotch center on a friends SB 10K. Lately, I've been thinking that
    would be a nice accessory. Looking in the 3rd edition of HTRAL, I see both drill pads and crotch centers were listed as accessories.
    Any chance anyone might have a crotch center they'd like to part with?

I also seem to remember seeing an article about making one. Could anyone point me to that?

Thanks.

Alan
    Hi Alan.

If you have a vee-block, a drill vice and a pedestal drill that's about all you need.

Put your vee-block into your drill vice (for weight), put a cylindrical/round piece of any material into your drill chuck, move the the vice (with the vee-block in it) and lower the drill quill until the cylinder in the chuck just touches both sides of the vee-block. The quill (and the drill chuck) are now right over the centre of the vee-block and any other "round" job you care to put in the vee-block. Might be a good idea to clamp the vice to the drill table so that it doesn't move.

Its better and quicker than using the tail and head stocks on the lathe and making a part that will only probably be used on the lathe.

I hope this helps.