Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a bench for Logan 200

Default Building a bench for Logan 200

My - for me - new Logan came with a stand and chip pan. Like this:

http://bridgeport.askmisterscience.com/logan200.jpg

I would actually prefer to put it on a bench. I checked out HF, Grizzly, Sears - and nothing really fits my purpose. Would you know any other source for a lathe table?

It looks like I will have to build it to make sure it is the way I want it. It would be nice to see your setup.

Also, is there an ergonomic height for lathe? I am 6'2" and normal work bench is usually too short for me.

I am afraid I am gonna ask all these dam questions for a while

When I bought my combo lathe/mill from Grizzly I also bought the large bench legs on this page: http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2007/Main/254. I topped it with a very heavy duty solid core door. The door weighs close to if not more than 100 lbs and is quite inflexible as a bench top. It has enough room for my lathe and leaves plenty of room for tools, tool trays, and my Kennedy tool box. The shelf area is planked with 5/4 hemlock and easily holds my Kurt wannabe vise and plenty of metal stock, chucks, etc.

I bought a large oil drip pan from the local auto parts store and a smaller secondary drip pan for easy chip/coolant removal (See Frank Ford's page: http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Mach...okiesheet.html for a similar arrangement). I thought I had some pictures of it but I can't find them if I do.

tattoomike68 Guest

My bench is a stout old engine table on casters that used to hold cattapillar tractor engines.

Its 34 inches tall and the spindle center is about 46" from the floor. Im 6' 3" with a bad back so I cant be stooping over a lathe.

I have that Logan on it's legs & pan, and have been happy with it. It sure makes sweeping behind the lathe easy! It's previous owner also mounted a set of drawers under the pan, handy for the gears, collet closer, etc. Why not just put some steel or alum channel between the legs and pan to get the bed up to a comfortable height for you?

I once used one of those old army steel desks.
    Some have 'pull-outs' for typewriters.
    Very super heavy duty built, and make a very steady vibration free bench for a lathe.
    Plus they have several roller mounted drawers to keep the tooling in.
    I still see them in surplus stores, junk stores and the like for about $25.

Last one I had, I turned upside down to move it, and a note fell out of it rolled up in a $1 silver certificate. The note read 'Please buy me a Sandwich and Coffee'.

Tom M.

Independent principality of Sinquefieldia (formerly Missouri)

Stand up, raise your hand so your forearm is horizontal. Measure up to it, and most likely that is best height for the cranks.

Table should be solid and stout. After that it is your option, really. No need to obsess about it.

I used a metal-top table, and put about 1 3/4" of wood under the metal top. partial view here, including the modified oil drip pan chip collector.

Mine came equipted with a chip pan and stand and I like it better than any bench I had for the first lathe I had. What do you find objectionalbe about this set-up??

Quote Originally Posted by mayfieldtm
    Last one I had, I turned upside down to move it, and a note fell out of it rolled up in a $1 silver certificate. The note read 'Please buy me a Sandwich and Coffee'.
    Tom M.
    Boy, that had to WWII vintage. :-)
    ...lew...

I made a wood bench for my Logan 820, ala Gingery, and put shelves and the like on 1" angle iron underneath. 2 - 1" thick pieces of marine grade plywood bonded together form the top.

Ken-

J Tiers gives the general guideline: height such that your forearm is horizontal when turning the carriage handwheel. It wouldn't hurt to build in a little height adjustment in case experience suggests that something different would be better for you, personally.

I've got my South Bend 10K on a wood bench, top made of 2 layers of 3/4" plywood laminated together, 4x4 legs, 1/4" plywood across the legs and back. It's solid, but in retrospect I think I might opt for a metal stand, at least for the legs. Not sure, but I might. Unistrut might be an option.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.