Thread: Hacksaw/bandsaw clamp painting

Default Hacksaw/bandsaw clamp painting

Hi All,

I'm taking apart and cleaning/painting my Marvel 2B power hacksaw. I've got the clamp assembly all taken apart and cleaned, but can only see a small section of paint remaining on the castings. What's the convention on painting something like the moving/sliding surfaces? It has a ratchet rack that allows quick placement of the clamp.

They're not sliding/lubricated high precision surfaces, so do I paint the "ways" and ratchet rack, or leave them bare and lube them?? What about the actual clamp faces, the surfaces that'll grab the raw stock. Leave those bare, or paint them, too??

Realize, this is just the clamp mechanism, and it's not a museum restoration, I use this saw.
    Mike P
    1919 13" South Bend Lathe
    1942 Bridgeport M-head Mill

Any surface that has movement relative to another, that is, slides on another, I wouldn't bother to paint. The paint will just wear off anyway, and I think it will move better if it's metal-to-metal contact.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.