Thread: Review : Deca Inverter arc welder

Default Review : Deca Inverter arc welder

Princess Auto (www.princessauto.com) had a Deca Inverter welder on sale and I've always been wanting to upgrading my welder so after talking to the salesman who told me "take it home, play around with it, if you don't like it just bring it back". Figuring that I had nothing to lose, I picked the unit up for $350. Yes, I know that I could have bought 200A Lincoln Electric unit for less, but I was looking for something lighter and more versatile and this does allow me to upgrade to a TIG with a kit that they sell.

First of all, I was amazed at how light it was. It can't be more than about 5 lbs. My laptop weights more for goodness sakes. As soon as I got home, I got my rods out and proceeded to weld. Remember that my older welder is a 90A buzzer box that I bought more than 20 years ago and it's paid for self many time over and although it could weld things around the garage I was never satisfied with the quality of the weld. I'm not sure if it's the DC aspect of this welder or the "electronics" which apparently provides hot start and anti-sticking function, but the quality and ease of welding was like night and day. Is it because it's DC?

Starting the arc was a breeze (with my old welder, I had to drag it several times before it would arc) and I was amazed at how low an amperage I was able to get down to before the arc became unstable. It also seem to have much less splatter and deeper penetration. If I sound excited that's because I am! All these years, I've been blaming myself for the quality of the weld but now I see that it was the tool.

The unit says that it's made in EU and the manual says that it's made in Italy, so I'm guessing that it's not made in China, although I wouldn't be surprised if the internal modules are built there. Although I've only had this unit for couple of days now, I'm very impressed with this unit. I'm going to order the Tig kit for this and report back on how well that works.

Here's a link for the product, in case your are interest.
    http://www.decaweld.com/default.asp?...rod&cmdID=1873

disclaimer: don't work for Deca or Princess Auto and have no affiliation.
    Last edited by rotate; 11-07-2007 at 11:31 PM.

One of my coworkers belongs to a metalworking club and this product has had great reviews, lots buy it mainly as a tig machine. I was also in PA last week and tempted but the cart was bursting full and I have enough welders at the moment. They are made in Italy, incredibly small and I believe it's the way thet're built with the inverter that makes the difference. Enjoy, their tig setup looks a bit wimpy though.