I had mentioned this in another thread but I think it should be in a dedicated thread for archive/search reasons.
A buddy gave me a 9" model A that was just collecting dust at his machine shop.(I'll return the favor by doing some work in his home)
So first thing I did was totally tear it down. I figured I would start with the headstock and spindle.
The bearings in the headstock were trashed. Badly scored on 100% of the bearing in the front and about 30% in the rear.
I had read the article in HSM mag where a gentleman used his lathe ways to line bore the headstock in order to fit new bronze sleeves.
I studied his method and it seemed sound. I had all the equipment needed for this task so I decided to give it my best shot.
I used a mini mill head with a 1" diameter boring bar. The headstock was moved to the tailstock end of the bed where it was unworn. This is important as the line bore will only be as straight as the carriage can ride the ways.
Here is what the headstock bearings looked like when I took it apart, ugly!-
So here is the setup to line bore the front bearing-
Here is the setup boring the rear, note the steady rest added -
And here is the front bearing bored out ready for a new bronze sleeve-
The rear turned out just as good.
Continued in next post,