Thread: Drill Pad

Default Drill Pad

What is a "drill pad?" I see them on E-Bay from time to time. Usually with a MT on one end and a flat disc on the other. Just curious. Maybe I need one.

SP

Drill pad is used to do a bit of reverse drilling in that the drill bit goes in the chuck end usually a morse taper drill into the head stock. The bit to be drilled is fixed to the drill pad in the tail stock which is then pushed against the drill.
    Really only used these days if you only have the one machine the lathe.
    Most model engineers would only have the lathe hence all the attachments and fittings for the Myford lathe.
    If you have a drilling machine the pads are not much use.

Peter
    I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Thanx again Peter. I guess I don't need a drill pad after all.

SP

Talking spider use

Quote Originally Posted by pntrbl
    Thanx again Peter. I guess I don't need a drill pad after all.

SP
    Hello!! PNTRBL A use for a drill pad is to make into spider for large tubes

c'bore a .625 hole by .375 or what ever you want then tap a 3/8 or 1/2 thread

make a holder for whatever bearing you have in your bearing box ,a flange on

back of i. d. bushing might be a good idea , then make a o. d. sleave for bear-

ing with flange, have 1 1/2 or 2" of radius bigger than bearing , use 3 jaw

chuck & 1-2-3 block to scribe line on o. d. of sleave,tap 1/4 or 3/8 for spider

arms , use whatever lg. of bolt or threadall you have , the c'bore is so you

can use for other uses!

Larry

Default Drill pads....

Drill pads are the kind of tool that you usually find in a box of stuff that you get with a used lathe that had been owned by an old-school model engineer.

I've never used one in over 20 years of machining either at home or as a job.
    So I'd say relegate them to other uses as mentioned, or let them stay as pictures in How to Run a Lathe or the Atlas book.

Rick

For What Itís Worth:

I have a drill pad with a ĎVí on the face. I use it all the time to cross-drill round stock of any sort. To me, itís very convenient as the setup is always centered up, you just need to chuck up your drill, seat your pad in the tailstock, slide your tailstock close, then use your left hand to slide the workpiece in the groove to locate your hole, your right turns the tailstock handle. Perhaps I like it because it puts the job where you can easily see things for quick work. Just be careful when the drill breaks through so it doesnít try and pull the workpiece away from the ĎVí and start it spinning with the drill.

Iíve got a Bridgeport and drill press, but if I just need a quick cross-hole drilled in something Iíll usually use this method.

Chandler