Thread: gun barrel lathes

Default gun barrel lathes

I'm not tempted by this Craigslist offer for a Barnes lathe http://phoenix.craigslist.org/tls/541359659.html . It's pretty ratty-looking. But it did pique my curiosity -- it seems unusually long. Tony's website says it was intended for machining gun barrels http://www.lathes.co.uk/barnes/page3.html.

Were there other lathes designed for this specialized trade?
    Last edited by aostling; 01-16-2008 at 06:14 PM.
    Allan

I didn't see where it said that this one was "designed" for making gun barrels, rather just that the previous owner said that it was previously used for that.

There are, however, lathes that were designed to *rifle* gun barrels as well as those that were specifically modified for same. Some time back on this very forum as I recall, someone posted pictures of just such a lathe.

Paul
    Paul Carpenter
    Mapleton, IL

Hi,

I would think the price is a bit high perhaps? It's in pieces, and maybe not all of them are there either.

Still, it could be a fun restoration project.

dalee

Europe-Asia border aka somewhere on the Saros

@ $450 for a 13 x 60, it doesn't seem unreasonable to me. I had to pay $1300 for a line shaft 11 x 42 ? model at a local auction almost 10 years ago.. Mine was complete with Jackshaft & motor and was in running condition.

Unless it has some value as an antique to you, I wouldn't offer much more than scrap value
    FuQ

Quote Originally Posted by mochinist
    Unless it has some value as an antique to you, I wouldn't offer much more than scrap value
    Well, like I said, I'm not tempted. Dewey (where the lathe is located) was an interesting 1898 mining settlement, though, and is always worth a look.

Russ, this is your off-road stomping grounds. Maybe the lathe needs to be in your shop.
    Allan

Quote Originally Posted by aostling
    I'm not tempted by this Craigslist offer for a Barnes lathe http://phoenix.craigslist.org/tls/541359659.html . It's pretty ratty-looking. But it did pique my curiosity -- it seems unusually long. Tony's website says it was intended for machining gun barrels http://www.lathes.co.uk/barnes/page3.html.

Were there other lathes designed for this specialized trade?
    i'm not exactly sure what makes it special for machining gun barrels. as mentioned, a more specialized lathe-type machine is used for rifling gun barrels, but just about any lathe except a brake lathe could be used for general machining of gun barrels. the lathe in your link to Tony's page has no bore through the spindle, and seems as though you would mount whatever you are machining between centers. this pretty much precludes it from being able to cut rifling in barrels.

maybe if i ever sell my old SouthBend i'll list it as a gun barrel machining lathe, since i have used it to do some machine work on various barrels.

as for the price, maybe scrap is up in the Phoenix area, but i certainly wouldn't pay $450 for that thing. i'm thinking $150 tops.

andy b.

That is a pattern maker's wood lathe,they make lousy metal lathes,not ridgid enough and only a minimal carrage feed.There was one in a shop near here that was identical,but over 90" between centers.I had a chance to buy it running for $300,but alas he had more stuf for me to buy than I had money to buy with.Still wish I had snagged it thou.

$450 for that one is high,$200 would be more like it assuming it isn't froze solid.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

I must admit my error -- Tony's website doesn't say it is a "gun barrel" lathe, as many of you will have noticed. I misinterpreted the seller's comment.
    Allan