Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wind power - from the HSM shop???

Default Wind power - from the HSM shop???

As it seems to be a "slow day" I thought I'd lighten things up a bit and post a couple of pics (one came by email and the other from today's paper) that could have had their origin/concept in a HSM shop.

Very little carbon foot-print or just a lot of wind!

I must say I liked the the thought behind them!!

Any others in a somewhat lighter vein than some recent posts regarding "energy"?

At first glance it seems like the sail doesn't have enough area to catch that much wind. A fuel savings of up to 35% doesn't seem possible, but who am I to say how much push (or pull) it takes to make a loaded freighter get up to speed. I suppose with the size of the freighter that kite looks too small, but really at 160 sq meters it's only the size of my house. Either A- I'm underestimating the power of the wind, or B- I'm overestimating the fuel consumption of the cargo ship.

Glad to see another manifestation of wind energy again, though.

I like the lil red wagon hauler. Does that cart have the towing package?

Your fuelsavings will rise even further going dead slow.
    I really like that scooter idea. How about a roof.

Quote Originally Posted by darryl
    I like the lil red wagon hauler. Does that cart have the towing package?
    I have that exact scooter from my Fathers estate. I used it when my ankle was crushed and yes, it seems to have the towing package! I used it to load the garbage into a garden wagon and it was surprisingly powerful

I think the sail on the tanker is a hot of huey perpretrated on a willing new media. But that's not to say the tanker industry shouldn't be concerned. Put this pic in a few more newspapers around the world and they'll be on everything that floats.....including turds!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Hooey.......... yep, there has to be a LOT of stuff not mentioned..

Apparently nobody thinks the old time clipper ships were a good model. Very efficient, made for the best usage of the wind possible at the time, maximum speed, with the best "lines" and a huge amount of sail relative to the hull.

I suspect that "sail" is smaller than the sail area of a clipper, which is a VERY much smaller ship.

That can't "sail" at all except with the wind, the type of "sail" has no significant capability to vector the wind into a forward force if the wind isn't nearly dead aft.

I'd be surprised if the savings were even measureable over a whole trip.

I have a small collection of stunt kites including one of the very first 4 line double diamond kites ever made. I have a six foot standard swept back "hang glider" type kite too. It probably has an area of about 1/2 to 3/4 sq meter or so. In a decent breeze it will almost lift me off the ground. In a good wind it will take off with me attached.

I would guess that parasail would produce at least a couple of thousand pounds of thrust (pull) in a good breeze and maybe 10 to 20,000 in a stiff wind. It doesn't take a lot of power to make a long ship go slow. A quick check on the power plants fitted to the narrow canal boats shows numbers such as 43 hp for a 55 foot 18 ton vessel. That's the same power as my Land Rover.

[edit]

Also, my stunt kite can be flown from nearly 90 degrees to either side and almost directly overhead. The force vector downwind is proportional to the cosine of the angle.
    Last edited by Evan; 01-24-2008 at 08:18 AM.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers
    Hooey.......... yep, there has to be a LOT of stuff not mentioned..

That can't "sail" at all except with the wind, the type of "sail" has no significant capability to vector the wind into a forward force if the wind isn't nearly dead aft.

I'd be surprised if the savings were even measureable over a whole trip.
    Yep. Thar was my first statement when I saw the picture in the news.
    What a farce. As if the wind was always from behind. The solid airfoils
    that were in the news a few years ago (mounted vertically) look a
    lot more promising.
    BUT you never know, how many remember when the first
    "winglets" were invented ? It was on sailplanes and it took many
    years to finally show up on big planes. Now they all have them.
    ...lew...

Like Evan I was going to mention stunt kites. Mine was about the size of a medium TV and in a stiff (20mph) wind it felt like it would almost lift me (I'm not small!)

When I was a kid I hauled my 2 man raft to the local pond on the handle bars of my Stingray bike. Wind was blowing pretty good and suddenly I was moving way faster than I was comfortable with. I stopped but just barely.

Funny, it never crossed my mind to let go of my boat... Took a lot of mowing to buy that boat.

wind power? That reminds me of this interesting project:

http://www.otherpower.com/bartmil.html

If it was already posted here, my apologies