Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please confirm MW article on Penetrating Oil

Sir John if you don't mind what is trike?

Tim

Trichloroethane, supposedly it's been banned as being carcinogenic but only after 5 pints

Over here it got banned and a substitute was brought out to replace it and then that got banned.

Then they found out that the cleaner developed to clean jet engines before crack testing wasn't working so Rolls Royce got an exemption for the original trike to be used to clean parts before crack testing.

So if you know anyone who works at Roll's crack testing department you are well away.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Quote Originally Posted by John Stevenson
    I always thought ATF and power steering fluid is the same thing.?

Well it is in my vehicles anyway as ATF gets put into the power steering and the auto tool changer on the CNC.

Best tapping fluid I have ever come across is 75% trike and 25% ATF. the ATF stops it evaporating away as quick.

It's that good that stand a tap up in the hole, spray it with the knacker laquer and the tap winds itself into the hole on it's own

Pretty much certain it is, MSDS reads almost identically for both.
    Feel and smell are all the same.
    Enough alike that the only difference may be the dye alone.
    Ken.

On smal block chevy's they have pipe plugs that are impossible to get out i have found if you heat them with a propane torch then touch it with some candle wax it wicks in the threads and then the plug can be removed , the thermal change in the cast iron block along with the wax as lubricant works great for me.
    scariest thing to hear " I am from the government and i am here to help"

Quote Originally Posted by John Stevenson
    So if you know anyone who works at Roll's crack testing department you are well away.

That's what I aspired to be as a Ute(read youth), a crack tester.

I got the part that is frozen soaking in the atf fluid/acetone mix. I sure hope it works. I wonder what would happen if I put the small container holding the solution and part in a ultra-sound cleaner solution and let it float around? I wonder if the ATF stuff and acetone would get along or would they raise hell chemically?
    Last edited by Your Old Dog; 02-05-2008 at 03:52 PM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Default Absolutely no apology needed, and thanks for the clarification!!!!

lbender,
    no intent to do anything other than verify your excellent work. Now that I can state that I "communicated with the author", I can pass the word along to the Studebaker gang!

Quote Originally Posted by lbender
    63Avanti,

Allow me to appologize one more time. The test material was intended to be automatic transmission fluid. In the auto parts department, I grabbed a bottle of power steering fluid by mistake. If you read the article, the power steering fluid shown was used. The table you quoted has not been corrected.

One salient point not covered in your question -- these are loads required to free the test piece after 8 hours of immersion in penetrating oil. This is probably not representative of a quick squirt just before a wrench is applied.

Quote Originally Posted by Alguy
    On smal block chevy's they have pipe plugs that are impossible to get out i have found if you heat them with a propane torch then touch it with some candle wax it wicks in the threads and then the plug can be removed , the thermal change in the cast iron block along with the wax as lubricant works great for me.

Hey thats a slick idea ... bad pun intended ...

Quote Originally Posted by Lazlo
    By the way, is it just me, or does Liquid Wrench smell like sh!t? I kinda like the smell of PBlaster
    Are you kidding me!? I like the way liquid wrench smells - maybe because it reminds of being little and hangin' out with the grown-ups while they tried to get some rusty shock-absorbers off a dodge caravan

Oh and 63Avanti -

Yep that did infact appear in a MW issue and, as the author said, that table is correct. He did a great job of it too; had a control and each piece was electrolytically rusted so it should be a pretty uniform job. As i recall, they were all torqued to a specific torque beforehand as well so there shouldn't be any question as to the validity of the results.

I buy Kano-Kroil in gallon cans only! I tried the aroesol spray cans and found that the stuff penetrated past the spray nozzel leaking the contents while not in use! While it works great as a penetrant, it doesn't lube like WD40 or PB!

I'll try the ATF+Acetone on the small screws that hold the cutting head on my boring bar. Something that WD, PB, or Kroil have yet to loosen!

John S

That Trichloroethane is supposed to be great cutting fluid for tough stuff?

Have you used it for that?

Hal