Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please confirm MW article on Penetrating Oil

And to think all those years I used a cheater pipe on the wrench handle. Well, it was a free scrap- maybe not quite free, it cost me gas to go get the sockets replaced

A long time ago we used Whiz as a penetrating oil. (it was a real product, not used beer). It worked really well. It worked well on wasps nests as well. The can would squirt 20 ft.
    Last edited by darryl; 02-05-2008 at 03:19 AM.

Unhappy

and the answer to the original question is...

Quote Originally Posted by 63Avanti
    The material below has been making the rounds of the internet for months. Could someone look up the Machinist Workshop issue and confirm/debunk as appropriate. Also, could someone fill in the gaps on what the test was attempting to demonstrate? Does it apply to seized engine bolts and rusted frame nuts?

"The April/May 2007 edition of Machinist's Workshop did a test of penetrating oils where they measured the force required to loosen rusty test devices. Buy the issue if you want to see how they did the test. The results reported were interesting. The lower the number of pounds the better. Mighty interesting results for simple acetone and tranny fluid!

Penetrating oil . Average load .. Price per fluid ounce
    None ................. 516 pounds .
    WD-40 .............. 238 pounds .. $0.25
    PB Blaster ......... 214 pounds .. $0.35
    Liquid Wrench ... 127 pounds .. $0.21
    Kano Kroil ........ 106 pounds .. $0.75
    ATF-Acetone mix.. 53 pounds .. $0.10

The ATF-Acetone mix was a 50/50 mix (1 to 1 ratio)."

thanks!

IOWOLF Guest

The answer is Mix some up and try it on your specific application .

Wink

Gee this topic comes just when I can use it. I bought an old 16 foot aluminum telescoping surveyers pole to modify for use as a vertical antenna on the camper.

On one of the telescoping sections the brass nut is frozen solid to the mating collar. I have used heat, cold, WD-40 and built a collar to grab the sleeve with so as not to damage it. This thread gives me more thing to try before I have to abandon this part and fabricate something else to get the job done. I have ATV fluid and acetone so I'll be on it first thing this morning.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

IOWOLF Guest

"Gee this topic comes just when I can use it. I bought an old 16 foot aluminum telescoping surveyers pole to modify for use as a vertical antenna on the camper.

On one of the telescoping sections the brass nut is frozen solid to the mating collar. I have used heat, cold, WD-40 and built a collar to grab the sleeve with so as not to damage it. This thread gives me more thing to try before I have to abandon this part and fabricate something else to get the job done. I have ATV fluid and acetone so I'll be on it first thing this morning."

You may try ATF first.

I tried the ATF/acetone thing after reading the article. Its OK, and its cheap, but I have yet to have the good results I have consistently with Kroil. I have ordered it straight from the company and have gone through most of a pint and one of the spray cans which I have owned for years. I will order a gallon next time. The key to making it last is to not be sloppy....the only part that does any good is the part dribbled on the actual rusted junction. I watch most folks spray stuff on like it was going to be absorbed through the sides of the nut and all the surrounding metal or something

Years ago, I had an old flathead engine that had been outside with water standing in all cylinders for years. Several weeks of soaking with Kroil in each cylinder popped it all loose. I have used some of the other penetrants over the years and had the best luck with kroil. WD-40 is not penetrating oil. If it works, it probably wasn't too stuck in the first place.

I think the fellow who set up the test has responded here before saying that he struggled to find a valid test scenario. I think he did the best he could, but I am not sure it relates to the typical rusty bolt-nut scenario which requires torque and penetration down a spiral to break the rust bond.

Paul
    Paul Carpenter
    Mapleton, IL

Paul, I usually get one of their (Kroil - www.Kanolabs.com) sample packs. You may have to ask them what kind of kits they are putting together (if they still are). I have bought several in the past and they always included a gallon of Kroil, plus some aerokroil, and some other product. I bought a case of aerokroil one year and gave a can to all my male Christmas gift receipients. Everyone raved about how good it worked. My opinion is that IF penetrating oil will help in a particular situation, Kroil will get it done; but, Kroil is not a magic wand.

63Avanti,

Allow me to appologize one more time. The test material was intended to be automatic transmission fluid. In the auto parts department, I grabbed a bottle of power steering fluid by mistake. If you read the article, the power steering fluid shown was used. The table you quoted has not been corrected.

One salient point not covered in your question -- these are loads required to free the test piece after 8 hours of immersion in penetrating oil. This is probably not representative of a quick squirt just before a wrench is applied.

IOWOLF Guest

You guys just don't listen to the Wolf, Do Ya.

Thanx for stepping up to the plate Lbender.

I always thought ATF and power steering fluid is the same thing.?

Well it is in my vehicles anyway as ATF gets put into the power steering and the auto tool changer on the CNC.

Best tapping fluid I have ever come across is 75% trike and 25% ATF. the ATF stops it evaporating away as quick.

It's that good that stand a tap up in the hole, spray it with the knacker laquer and the tap winds itself into the hole on it's own

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.