Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: &^%$#@( India.............

Default &^%$#@( India.............

Got several 2MT "blank arbors" for making tailstock tooling, since I was lazy enough to not want to set up for tapers and cut them all, etc, etc.....

Well, the arbors that came in are from "India", and NO they do NOT "blue up" right.....

I checked with a Bison live center, and of course IT has essentially full contact everywhere.

The arbors have good contact at the large end, and barely touched at any point at the small end.

Yah..... you get what you pay for...... maybe. In this case, I bought the only type available from the vendor, so no I didn't bottom-feed.

Just venting....... grumpy because I'll have to set up after all and grind these true if I want arbors any time soon.

Have to agree with you. I bought couple of MT adapters from a vendor and they were a mixed lot. One was from Poland and was very nicely finished, even in the areas that weren't critical to its use. The one from India was okay where it needed to be and the rest looked like junk. In general, if it says made in India I'll pass.

Glenn

What do you do when you go buy a new 50HP tractor(model 5301) from you local John Deere dealer and you find out it was made in India? When the salesman was asked about this, his reply was that it was probably more American than most of their tractors, except for their hugh ones.

A few years back Cadillac had a TV commercial claiming their cars were assembled from world class parts.

Jim W.

In this case, it isn't so much about country of origin, it is about the obvious fact that the folks over there DO NOT KNOW what a 2MT IS.................

Angles and grinders don't know from nations........

The finish is very good, the grinding is FIRST CLASS.

But the ^%$#(*&!! ANGLE is WRONG.

All I can figure is that this is "the nearest metric equivalent"............

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers
    In this case, it isn't so much about country of origin,
    If you say so. I have never bought any tooling "from" India that was worth the shipping. Either the metal used was a mix-mash of crap and of a poor finish or the dims were way off. Sounds like yer case was the dims. Quality control must have been over looked at that shop..

And I dont even wanna say I am bashing the abilities of Indian tool makers. Just the same with Chinese tooling.

The countries as a whole have the ability to produce exacting tolerance tooling. After all, they are both nuclear capable nations.

Guess it really does come down to "you get what you pay for". Given a higher budget (income) those manufactures could prolly give you exactly what you want.. The short buck usually produces the shorter quality.. In yer case, unusable. JRouche

Groz products are made in India. I have two Groz vises and they are both well made and well finished. They were very reasonably priced and do the job nicely.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by JRouche

And I dont even wanna say I am bashing the abilities of Indian tool makers. Just the same with Chinese tooling.

The countries as a whole have the ability to produce exacting tolerance tooling. After all, they are both nuclear capable nations.

Guess it really does come down to "you get what you pay for".
    I think I did address those issues............

Yah..... you get what you pay for...... maybe. In this case, I bought the only type available from the vendor, so no I didn't bottom-feed.
    The finish is very good, the grinding is FIRST CLASS.

But the ^%$#(*&!! ANGLE is WRONG.
    No, it isn't a LOT wrong, and no, I can't actually feel it move. But it won't rub off a black marker stripe all the way down, but a Bison center DOES rub off everywhere.

I know the T/S is right, as I had recently to do a clean-up ream on it, and I used a "Morse" brand made-in-USA reamer to do the job (with location via the H/S). I suspect that was correct, particularly because that well-made center is a perfect fit.

BTW, India has come a long way in exports. I bought, for quite a substantial $$, a threaded chuck arbor several years ago. I was VERY annoyed to note it came from India, and appeared to have been chewed to shape out of rebar by a drunk squirrel. J&L got it back right away.

These things are for all intents and purposes equal to Bison, EXCEPT that the wrong gage was used to check it.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 02-07-2008 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    Groz products are made in India. I have two Groz vises and they are both well made and well finished. They were very reasonably priced and do the job nicely.
    When I manufactured tapping machines, I bought hundreds of Bilz type quick change adapters from Centaur, which is an Indian company. I also offered Bilz, Emuge and Tapmatic versions but eventually went almost entirely with Centaur as we never had a single quality issue and never any complaints from customers with their tools.

So, bottom line...just because it comes from India doesn't make it bad....but if the price is extremely low and from India...look out...

http://www.centaurtools.com/products...ng/tapping.asp

I got a #2 Morse chuck adapter a couple years ago with a problem on the Morse taper. In this case it was clear that the taper had been ground with a form wheel in two steps and the infeed didn't match. That is, there were essentially two short tapers with a small bump at the juncture. I don't remember if it indicated where it was made. I complained to J&L who cheerfully refunded that one and I bought a Jacobs for a little more money.

It was interesting to me that they would use that particular process. It would be fast production, but really prone to error because the machine makes two moves, one longitudinal and one infeed that both have to be absolutely right or the taper doesn't match up as this one showed. Plus you've got the angle dressing of the wheel! Under NC I might be more prone to trust it, but for manually run production swinging the table for the taper would ensure that once checked it would be trustworthy throughout the run. Even a little corner breakdown on the wheel wouldn't hurt you so long as you could overtravel a little on each end.
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Quite a few MT adaptors are ground with a relieved portion in the center to eliminate the step situation as well as reduce the amount to be removed by grinding.

The first question would be "Is the taper in tolerance?" It appears it might well be;

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...d.php?t=151534

It is more than possible that both the TS and adaptor are in spec, but simply on different ends of it. The MT spec is pretty loose.
    Jim H.