Thread: OT-Min height for hanging main power feed

Default OT-Min height for hanging main power feed

Anybody know what the code minimum height is for a hanging main power feed line to a weatherhead?

Thanks, Cadwiz

think it mostly depends on location, up here the weatherhead had to be 14 feet from ground last time I installed one

other odd rules came into play depending on the particular location of the weatherhead itself, can't be placed so as to route wires near windows etc.

Ken.

Default Thanks

Mine's a tad under 9ft and I want the power company to fix it. I thought it should higher than 9.

Cadwiz

In general, that is to say - I dont know your exact situation, but in general the code is something like this. 225.18 Wire is to be hung not less than 10' over any area where there is foot traffic (yard, sidewalk, etc) 12' for a driveway and 18' for the road (truck traffic).

Then, there is clearance over a roof - 8' min. Except, a roof with a slope of more than 4-12 is allowed 3'. And a service drop not over 300V..... And a clearance of 3' from any window..... and 18" from mast head to roof..... and 10' to bottom of drip loop...... and, and, and.......

This is all kind of general. The problem is that the code is complex but not impossible. I think your best bet is to read this section a bit and see how it pertains to your situation.

Also, call your local code folks. Ours are good about answering the questions.

Check this link for the NEC online.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=24668

Good luck.
    rock-
    Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat
    ......Also, call your local code folks. Ours are good about answering the questions. ..........
    -
    Actually, from my experiance I'd ask one inspector how he wants it done and then note his name. The codes are sometimes so difficult the inspectors can't agree amoungst themselves how they want it done.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

When I did one, I called the power company. Each state has their own rules.
    Weather head and direction the meter base must face as well as ground. I know that Miss. and Ky. are different. the power company faxed me a copy of their requirements.
    re
    Herm Williams

When I built a garage to be equipped with it's own power drop in 2001, I contacted the power company and their engineer gave me a booklet showing all of the dimensions and requirements for the service connections, meter height, wire gauge, etc. It was easy to understand, and best of all, came straight from the "horses mouth."

Later on, getting the service connected went without a hitch.

Definately check with your local inspection authority and/or power company. Requirements may be diferent in various locations and circumstances. Here in Central Washington it changes betweed the City and two Counties. All are close, but the city is more restrictive due to city ordinance. Ask and you won't get cought off guard. Also, if this is for a main service from the power company they may have requirements for the wire size that exceeds local codes due to length of run and their transformer size and placement.

Good Luck,
    Robin