Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New power hacksaws for sale - why?

Default New power hacksaws for sale - why?

I received a catalog in the mail last week and was perusing it last night. I saw where several models of power hacksaws are for sale. Nice ones, selling for over $1k. I was left wondering - why would someone buy one of these today when bandsaws are so readily available, are so much faster, and just as capable of making a straight cut as a hack saw? I just can't see any reason why someone would buy one of these power hacksaws. Am I missing something?
    Corm

About the only thing I can think of is near instantaneous blade changes for cutting different material.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Default Why a hacksaw

Because they are tough machines. Make most band saws look weak and flimsy. Blades are likely cheaper than bands too.

What catalogue was that?

mark61

I saw them in the Penn Tools catalog (I hope it is OK to say that here).
    Corm

I have an old Keller power hacksaw. When I called Keller a number of years back to get a parts list and some other info, I ended up speaking to what I think is one of the owners. Very nice guy, spent some time with me on the phone. I asked nearly the same question. His reply was that many of their machines end up in less developed countries and in remote locations where the simplicity, robustness and ease of repair are more important than cutting speed, etc. He said that, coupled with the fact that blades are cheap and long-lived has allowed them to hold on to some key niche markets where they have advantages over a bandsaw. I really like mine, I abandoned my everyone-has-one Taiwanese horizontal bandsaw after having the Keller for a while. The hacksaw is not as fast, but the blades seem to last forever, it cuts nice and square, and is just sort of fun to watch.

tattoomike68 Guest

Before using a power hacksaw I thought, "what a peice of junk"

Boy was I wrong, that beast chewed right through stuff that would kill a flimsly band saw blade.

Use a band saw for tubing and small stuff, if you do alot of big chubs of solid the power hacksaw is very impressive.

Dont knock it till you ran one.

Power hack saws are very rigid, cut true, easy to change blades, take longer to cut, seldom need adjustment, are not tempermental as bandsaws are and usually cheaper to buy.
    It's only ink and paper

Also the old blades are good for making carving knifes.

Quote Originally Posted by Carld
    Power hack saws are very rigid, cut true, easy to change blades, take longer to cut, seldom need adjustment, are not tempermental as bandsaws are and usually cheaper to buy.
    YOUR REPLY IS ENTIRELY TRUE.
    I have a homemade power hacksaw (purchased from a scrap heap for $20) no way would I swap it for a bandsaw (have a 14" cut off saw). PH is way in front in cutting larger round and flat bar also heavier sections of RHS and hollow bar.
    Hear many condem a PH, they possibly have never owned one. I doubt if I would buy a bandsaw.

I have one of the old style that was run off a flat belt. I have been thinking of getting it working again, what rpm would you think the drive wheel was running on the old belt. And where do you get the hacksaw blades for so cheap? thanks. I will try to get some pics on here later and see if you guys can come up with some suggestions on what route to take. I have everything moving now. It is very heavy that is for sure. thanks.