Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Machinable wax

Default Machinable wax

There was a thread recently on here about this stuff and I bought some but so far haven't machined anything in it because as soon as I get a CNC done it's out the door and my two mills out out on load / demo.

In the last few days over on the Mach3 Yahoo group there has been a couple of posts from OZ from a guy who makes his own

We make the stuff, it's easy to do. 25% LDPE (Australian milk bottle tops) 75% paraffin. Melt, mix cast.

So forget all the H&S bull$hit about kerosene and explosions what I want to know is what else is LDPE or equivalent in the UK ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

John,

In the states, most molded plastics have the material code and and recycle symbol molded in. Not 100% definitive as the company I used to work would occasionally change materials without changing the mold engraving.

I just poked around the frig and didn't find any LDPE products and I don't know resins well enough to give examples off the top of my head. Found lots of products from my old company. Dirty rotten @#$#$, that they are.
    Last edited by moldmonkey; 03-08-2008 at 08:34 PM.
    Jon Bohlander
    My PM Blog

low density polyethylene = LDPE

Quote Originally Posted by bob_s
    low density polyethylene = LDPE
    Yes but what products.

Where's Peter Neil when you want him .................PETER.........!!

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

plastic bags, zip-loc seals
    tops for milk bottles, tupperware containers, water service plastic tubing
    most cheap plastic crap as opposed to expensive plastic crap

I did some more poking around and found lots of HDPE. Milk jugs, aspirin bottle, coffee "can". I believe the lids we made for fast food/gas station drink cups were a LDPE/HDPE blend. Like I said I am not a resin expert but I don't see where it would have to be LDPE. I found lots of PP-polyproplene products which is what we switched molds to without changing the engraving right away. It was a cheaper resin at that time.
    Last edited by moldmonkey; 03-08-2008 at 09:00 PM.
    Jon Bohlander
    My PM Blog

look underneath of plastic containers ...
    there is usually a recyling symbol on them ......with the intials of the plastic underneath it .

WIKI

LDPE is widely used for manufacturing various containers, dispensing bottles, wash bottles, tubing, plastic bags for computer components, and various molded laboratory equipment. Its most common use is in plastic bags. Other products made from it include:
    • Trays & general purpose containers
    • Food storage and laboratory containers
    • Corrosion-resistant work surfaces
    • Parts that need to be weldable and machinable
    • Parts that require flexibility, for which it serves very well
    • Very soft and pliable parts
    • Six-pack soda can rings
    • Extrusion coating on paperboard and aluminum laminated for beverage cartons.
    • Computer components, such as hard drives, screen cards and disk-drives.

Cheap kitchen cutting boards are probably the best bang for buck.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

I was looking at a thread on the cnc zone and a guy was milling a piece from a blue wax. Looked pretty dense and the fine details were sharp and clear. What I liked was his ability to gather up all the chips and he could recycle them.. JRouche

http://www.johnbearross.com/prototyper.html

This is very interesting, sure had not heard that it is that uncomplicated to make.
    JR, believe I saw the same video, a model tank of some sort, looked as if it had real fine detail.

He had 34 hours of machine time on the finish pass, kinda felt sorry for the guy.