Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bolt Head ID

Default Bolt Head ID

I have a ton of bolt head identification tables and charts but none showing the head markings on a bag of bolts I just stumbled upon while rearranging stuff in the shop.

The bolt heads have 12 radial lines with an "F" in the center. I have a vague recollection of seeing them referred to as Fedalloy but I don't have any specs or info on that designation. Even tried Googling it but perhaps I'm not using the right key words.
    Last edited by Willy; 03-24-2008 at 02:53 PM.

Doesn't the "F" designation indicate a self-tapping machine bolt.

Do they have a blunt leading edge with several slots in the leading threads?

I believe 12 radial lines signify a grade 8 bolt.
    no idea on the F...
    If it was a S, then it would be a "Supertanium" alloy bolt ( Not Titanium !)
    Rich

bob_s, these are definitely not self tapping bolts, rolled threads, they have a yellow chromate finish just like most of the grade 8 bolts that I have.

Rich, it looks much like a grade 8 bolt, which has 6 radial lines, and they seem tougher, I don't believe they are a proprietary bolt as I have seen them on different pieces of equipment, in high stress applications. I'm thinking they maybe a step up from grade 8 but am not sure how far up the scale they are from grade 8.

Again they have no markings other than a capitol F surrounded by 12 radial lines.... no circles, dots or squares, or anything else. Much like a grade 8 except an F in the center with 12 lines instead of 6.

Default Bolt Marking

I found this listing by searching [Fedalloy Bolt Screw Marking]. I hope this helps.
    Have fun,
    Bob G

http://lakesidefasteners.ca/catalog/

H12FZ114.3 1 1/4"-12 X 3 Grade 12 Alloy Hex Head Cap Screws. Yellow Zi
    1 1/4"-12 X 3 Grade 12 Alloy Hex Head Cap Screws. Yellow Zi
    1 1/4" - 12 X 3 Grade 12 UNF Fine Thread Fedalloy ? Papcolloy super high strength Hex Bolts. Gold zinc dichromate plated.
    12 radial lines on head.
    Exceeds Grade 8. 180,000 psi tensile strength.
    Special High Head for extra wrench area....
    Price Unavailable

Login for price
    Min: 0 Units: 0

Thanks Bob G, yep those be the ones.
    Not a heck of a lot of info out there about them though, I'm not sure if they are a strictly Canadian product or not, although I kinda doubt it.

Well at least I can rest assured that at 180,000 psi, my rake handle won't fall off.

Willy, I worked for a nuts and bolts wholesaler (Industrial Automotive, long gone) in 1973. We sold these bolts as Grade 12 along with matching Grade 12 nuts to the snow plow mechanics in 1 1/4" x 4" for blade attachment on the big Gloucester Township (Ottawa) snow removal equipment. If I remember correctly they cost over $30 each back then. We sold them as a grade above L9s. The matching nuts can be identified by 6 groves in a circle pattern (circular, not radial) on one of the clamping faces. I've used one of the 1 1/4" nut and bolt combos for a paper weight for years. I was only a part time stock boy fresh out of high school working for the summer, so I can't answer where they came from, but we sold lots of them in sizes from 1/4" and up. FYI they have a very crude and rough finish compared to an L9 and were available in both UNC and UNF.

Thanks for the info update ProfessorFate.
    Also a big welcome to the forum. I think you'll like it here, lots of diverse and knowledgeable members here.
    Home
    Good judgment comes from experience, and experience....well that comes from poor judgment.

This was a good interesting posting Willy.

I have googled this before, and there are some confusing reports there, almost to the point of contradictions, if you read through everything.