Thread: ElectroDischarge Machining (EDM) article

Default ElectroDischarge Machining (EDM) article

There is an article in Jan 91 HSM with some additional notes in Mar 91 & Jul 91. It referenced a very simple version that was originally presented in Pop Sci or Pop Mech around 1968. I sure could use it for a 'quick & dirty' job.

I had - somewhere, I thought - a copy of the Pop Sci/Mech article but can't find it.Would someone be able to point me to it?

Failing that could someone who has the HSM version let me know if it is a construction article or
    just a discussion. If an actual construction one then I would be able to back-order it.

I know about the Langlois book but it is more than I need right now.

Thanks for any help

I believe the folks at Village press do sell back issues and reprints of the articles. I doubt they still have the issues, but a reprint is certainly possible. Do contact them.

I am also looking into making an EDM device. Not sure how simple or complex yet, but there is a group dedicated to rolling your own on Yahoo. Check them out:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/EDMHomeBuilders/

The group owner also has a book that he sells: The EDM How-To Book written by Ben Fleming. I am presently looking into getting a copy.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Thanks for the link to that group. Will have a look

Contact the village press store if you looking the magazines they have a booklet type book on building the EMD machine you are talking about complete in one volume.
    Is probably cheaper than the each issue price of the back issues if they have them.
    Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

I'm guessing the OP is asking about the dangerous light-bulb EDM that was published in one of the old HSM magazines in a 2-page spread (IIRC).

Like PT and Paul said, you'd be better off buying the Robert Langlois "Build an EDM", or Ben Flemming's "EDM How-To Book." Both designs are nearly identical: they use the simple relaxation oscillator from the original Russian EDM patent. The only real difference is that Robert's design uses a stepper motor to control the electrode ram, and Ben's uses a servo:

http://www.build-stuff.com/015book_edm_machine.htm
    http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks9/edm/index.html