Thread: sawmill

Talking sawmill

I'm looking for any info on home made sawmills or plans to make a sawmill. Any info would be helpful. John

Band Saw, Chain, Reciprocating, or Circular?

I've got some info on some of these types somwhere if you'll let me know what type your considering I'll try and dig in the appropriate location.

-Dave

So far I have built three bandsaw mills,I can give you some advice so here goes#1Power and plenty of it!If you go 1-1/4"wide blade at least 30 hp if you go wider even more#2your blade speed should be set to at least 4500sfpm,set your governor so that the engine is running with a 300-400rpm reserve#3don't waste time on pillow blocks unless they are tapered roller bearing type,if you use ball bearing pillow blocks design it so your wheels are between the bearings#4if you use a feed system on the mill drive it off of the blade wheel so it will self compinsate for load#5make your idler wheel 1/3 the wieght of the driver#6portable mills suck unless you intend to saw at least three or four days in one place#7buy a sharpener and learn to use it before you build the mill your sucess will hinge on your grinding ability(Cook's saw makes a really good one for around $1600)#8study the commercial units closely incorperate their best features into yours#9good guards even though they are small a bandsawmill blade can be deadly#10don't build a circle saw unless you first learn how to sharpen and hammer your own blades otherwise it can be very $$$$$$#11get really good at milling slots you will need lots of them#12solid carbide blade guides are the only way to go forget rollers they are expensive and really suck just use a cheap sheilded bearing with an rpm limit that is in tune with your blade sfpm#13ball bearing back up guides are only used for the occasional knot they are not for constant use the blade should rarely make contact with them if it does make contact in normal sawing its time to sharpen and set the blade#14buy a good metal detector you will need it#15don't waste time on blade tires you don't need them#16have fun and if one of the 15,000other things you will have to figure out stumps you feel free to e-mail me and I will do what I can to help you

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 06-16-2003).]
    I just need one more tool,just one!

One of the guys in Chattanooga I know was building Bandsaw mills.. He had a large old lathe like mine, he was cutting a v-belt groove under the bandsaw blade wheel.. In other words his gear reduction was a large flat pulley that the blade ran on, with a V-cut in it.
    He got sued for patent infringement. They told him they would not pursue further if he quit making his saws like that. Other wise you have to have a gear transmission for the blade to slow it down.
    I'd do it all in hydraulics.. boom, picker, motor, all.. sit a cheap car engine off the side running a gear pump. Buy it all on ebay, hydraulics goes way cheap on there. Not many computer nerds know hydraulics.. Be expected that log-splitter parts go at a premium..

We built one a few years ago using an isuzu diesel from a small truck. the cariage moves via a hydraulic pump/chain drive and the elevation is adjusted via jackscrews driven by small winch motors. If i can give more info feel free to ask.

Brian

Talking

Thanks to all for your response to the post. It will be a stationary set up. Power from a tractor PTO. It is sounding like band saw might be the way to go. Using hydraulic maybe as the drive. The trees to be cut are my own. Who knows if it works good maybe pick up a few side jobs. Thank again.

It's a waste of time building one from scratch unless you like re inventing wheels. Try this. A band saw mill is the best way to go and the least waste of material. A company called "Wood Miser", and I'm sure there are other brands to has been building good band saw mills for years. By now you will find many good and not so good used ones for sale in the buy and sell rags. If you like tinkering and rebuilding things, buy the not so good one and make it like new. I can tell you for sure that you will be much further ahead than trying to invent one yourself. Experience!!!

Have you tried- http://www.sawmillexchange.com/ They have listings for new and used mills of all types,also Linn lumber co. sells complete mills and ready made parts to build your own,the prices ain't bad and the design is as good as Woodmiser-http://www.linnlumber.com/ they also have a mill head with 16"wheels,bearings,tensioner and frame for $900.00 cheap when you think about it.

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 06-20-2003).]
    I just need one more tool,just one!