Thread: O.T.Strippers for Pollyurathane?

Default O.T.Strippers for Pollyurathane?

A friend wants me to refinish a Weatherby stock for him. Does anyone have an experence with a stripping Pollyurathane? Brand name of a good stripper and any tips you may offer, please! Gary P. Hansen

Permatex gasket remover. Spray on, scrape off.

It will also soften powder coat.

It is really stinky stuff and I haven't tried it on wood.
    Gene

Strippers work better with latex than polyurethane.

Oh, were you asking about paint?
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

Brownells (www.brownells.com) sells a stock stripper, Certistrip, that's pretty good on the epoxy finishes used by Weatherby, Browning and Remington.

David
    Montezuma, IA
    No, I don't work for them anymore.

Ditto what Topct suggests. I keep a couple of cans of gasket remover around for stripping small items. Saves buying a gallon of aircraft stripper and having it go bad. After the paint is scraped off, steel wool it down with acetone to clean the wood.

Any paint stripper containing Methylene Chloride will do the job. Just go to your local home center and buy the cheap generic band as it's all the same other than the concentration. If you buy the can that weighs the most (for a given size) you end up with the most active chemical. Read the can and follow the safety guidelines as the stuff is nasty.

Does anybody know what they paint the back side of mirrors with? I haven't found a stripper that will touch it. It just laughs at methylene chloride. No solvent softens it either.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

It's a metallic plating, not a paint, isn't it?
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

They put some kind or either red or white paint on the back of mirrors to protect the metallic coating. Whatever it is it is bomb proof.

It used to be lead paint hence the red or white but I'm pretty sure they don't use lead any more.

I would be interested in how the wood turns out, most strippers I have tried have really dried out the wood and made it hard to refinish without blems when removing poly. Please post your results after refinishing.'

Thanks
    William