Thread: non-detergent oil for lubing

Default non-detergent oil for lubing

North of the 49th we have an institution called Canadian Tire. To the point, it sells 30 (single) weight non-detergent motor oil.

For a mini-lathe and given the lack of way-oil or any other exotica in my neighborhood would this do the job?

What about various weight gear oil (Canadian Tire also has outboard gear oil)? Not trying to get the most exotic, simply gain good lubrication & rust protection with readily available products.

Have seen a lot of discussion in these threads about various lubes & which is best. Would this oil be "better" than Mobil 1. Posters in theory seem to prefer non-detergent oil but wouldn't the Mobil 1 be detergent? For application between jobs (rust prevention) is a wipe with an oily rag adequate, or should it be brushed on _ more generously - or...?

Going on the assumption that any lubrication is better than none, as long as you get "Non-Detergent" 30 WT. oil you will probably be OK. The detergent oils have an additive to keep the debris in suspension and that is not a good thing unless you are using a filter. I always have a few quarts of 30 Wt. ND around the shop. You can use it on dang near anything that moves. My machine manufacturer recommends it for the gear box and all of the standard lube points. I used it for Way Oil for the first year and have had no noticeable problems. I recently bought a gallon of Mobil Vactra No,2 for the ways and it really helps reduce the stickiness when starting a move or changing direction. And, I wouldn't use it for cutting fluid but, for a general purpose shop and machine oil, it works pretty darn good.

if you can't find way oil, just buy some 32 weight hydraulic oil from Canadian Tire.

way oils is easy to come by try j and L they do a big drum pretty reasonably.And the delivery is also reasonable.Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

I am using the pre-reformulated Mobil Vactra. It and many others are available via mail order. I bought mine for $11 US from Enco with free shipping (inside the US) a few years back.

Barring that, if you want a home-brew, take some of that same motor or hydraulic oil and add STP or Lucas oil additive. It will increase the clinginess, much like the tacifiers that are added to purchased way oil products.

Here is a photo of pure Lucas oil additive on the end gears on my lathe. I just drip a drop or two on and it clings nicely while lubing better than grease which squeezes out. Notice the nice web it formed between spinning gears:

Paul Carpenter
    Mapleton, IL